Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Post drop-in handguards vs free-float

Hi. I was wondering if the barrels are interchangeable between two rifles, one with free float handguards and another old school M4 design? Or will you be switching upper receivers as well? If upper receivers for the two rifles are different, is there a model number or name? Please take a look at the picture for reference. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Bucks County)

Default Re: drop-in handguards vs free-float

Quote Originally Posted by ar556 View Post
    Hi. I was wondering if the barrels are interchangeable between two rifles, one with free float handguards and another old school M4 design? Or will you be switching upper receivers as well? If upper receivers for the two rifles are different, is there a model number or name? Please take a look at the picture for reference. Thanks.
    The free float handguard is likely going to require a different barrel nut.

Additionally, you will likely have to change the gas block or heavily modify the existing block.

It is very doable and not particularly complicated. But you will need an armorer's wrench, an upper vise block/fixture, and torque wrench with a 1/2" drive that goes from maybe 10 - 100 foot pounds.

You could just have two complete uppers. There are a ton of designs (forged, billet, slab side, etc). I like forged because all of the clam shell upper vise blocks are meant for them.

If you just buy an upper, you will still need all of the above mentioned tools at the very least.

Many free float designs come with barrel nuts and sometimes even the tool to install it (but you still need the torque wrench).

-Zach

Edit - the barrel could be used with either setup in case i didn't make that clear.

(Centre County)

From the upper picture you can remove the:
    Handguards
    Front sight block (which is also the gas block)
    Delta ring assy (front and rear)
    Barrel nut
    Remove the gas tube from the front sight block and you have a bare barrel.

Get a free float handguard (which normally comes with the correct barrel nut
    New gas block (measure the diameter of the barrel at the gas hole to get the right size)
    See if you need/want a new gas tube (shouldn't be needed unless you want a stainless steel one)
    Install the tube in the new gas block and install gas block and tube on the barrel
    Follow the directions of the free float handguard to install it and the barrel and you now have a free float front end.

Very easy to do - with the right tools - as explained above (or find a friend who has the tools and will let you borow the).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

*Please take a look at the picture for reference.* LOL!

What are you looking to do? If you are looking to have something done, hit me up. I do all kinds of repairing/smithing/building at no charge for members here & a couple other forums. Upper builds, trigger jobs, parts swap & custom applications. Happy to lend a hand.. that is, I only have ONE to lend, LOL! I*m the only One Armed Gunsmith/builder & Custom Knifemaker I*m aware of, in the country. I*m not in business & don*t do anything for money, but put my name in Google & you*ll see some things I done.