Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Gettysburg bus tour

Quote Originally Posted by widgetman101 View Post
    I second this, we did the horse tour a few years ago and it was pretty fun. I think the entire tour took a couple of hours and you get a first hand look at a lot of the historic sites. As for firearm signs I can't recall where all they were at but there are a handful of actual gun shops in the main town of mostly historic firearms and swords. I'd also recommend stopping at the Dobbin House for lunch/dinner, be sure to go to the basement.
    Dobbin House basement for sure...

(Bucks County)

whats the closest state game lands or decent public range ? , heading up for a couple of days end of this month

Longneck (Formerly Northern Lancaster County), Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Little round top and Devils den were closed last weekend for repairs. My kid was up with the MIL and she was very disappointed.
    • Little Round Top Rehabilitation Project Closure Notice
    Date Posted: 7/26/2022Alert, Severity, closure, Little Round Top Rehabilitation Project Closure NoticeThe construction contractor closed Little Round Top on Tuesday, July 26. All road closures & detours have gone into effect. Little Round Top will be CLOSED for 18 months.

• Devil's Den Closure Rehabilitation Project
    Date Posted: 3/10/2022Alert, Severity, closure, Devil's Den Closure Rehabilitation ProjectDevil’s Den closed for rehabilitation work on Monday, March 21. This project will address significant erosion and safety issues in this highly visited area of the battlefield. Devil’s Den will be CLOSED for approximately six months.

https://www.nps.gov/gett/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRabbit View Post
    Well, I just stumbled across this by accident. Apparently Devil's Den has been closed since March for "new steps," and Little Round Top is set to be closed for the next 1 1/2 years for "tree removal" and "safety improvements." Maybe they could make the entire battlefield an asphalt parking lot, then it would be fully ADA-compliant. WTF!

Also, I was perusing the pictures of the "new steps" at Devil's Den, and saw a picture of work going on. Looks like the contractor brought in a bunch of Mexicans. Good job, NPS. Joe Biden's America.

Attachment 158843
    Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Need ramps and elevators for the one tourist out of 10K who is in a wheelchair.

It would be cheaper to fly him up there in a helicopter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Here4now View Post
    * Little Round Top Rehabilitation Project Closure Notice
    Date Posted: 7/26/2022Alert, Severity, closure, Little Round Top Rehabilitation Project Closure NoticeThe construction contractor closed Little Round Top on Tuesday, July 26. All road closures & detours have gone into effect. Little Round Top will be CLOSED for 18 months.

* Devil's Den Closure Rehabilitation Project
    Date Posted: 3/10/2022Alert, Severity, closure, Devil's Den Closure Rehabilitation ProjectDevil*s Den closed for rehabilitation work on Monday, March 21. This project will address significant erosion and safety issues in this highly visited area of the battlefield. Devil*s Den will be CLOSED for approximately six months.
    Guess I won't be touring the battlefield for two years.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Guess I won't be touring the battlefield for two years.
    There are so many other areas of the battlefield to tour, some less well known, some just as well known. Culp's Hill played a huge role in the battle, but hardly anyone goes there. Sickles' foul-up in the Peach Orchard, which may have actually helped the Union defense, was rehabilitated to historical viewsheds in the past few years. First Day battles around the Seminary and Oak Hill. There's plenty to do without going to LRT & DD.

Wife and I are loading up the bikes (pedal type) and heading there this morning.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(York County)

I’ve lived 30-40 minutes away for three decades, so we*ve taken many friends and family. By horseback is fun, bikes are nice as well. In the early 90’s you could mountain bike too.

The new visitor’s center is posted, but it’s privately owned, so technically you would have to be trespassed first. There are no detectors (or at least weren’t last time I was there).

Readings gun shop on Washington St.(?) is a fun place, but can be a little expensive.

The underside of the Daubin house is good. The Parrot just to the west of the square is also a good place to eat, as is the Garyowen Irish pub (my favorite).

There is also a huge monthly gun auction about 15 minutes north at Redding’s Auction house. Sundays as I recall:

https://www.reddingauction.com

Have fun!

Have fun!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post

The new visitor*s center is posted, but it*s privately owned, so technically you would have to be trespassed first. There are no detectors (or at least weren*t last time I was there).
    I would be careful of this. I know the visitors center is private property, but is it considered a "federal facility" because there are federal employees who work in that building?
    Sort of like an IRS office located in a mall.
    The Hostler

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    I would be careful of this. I know the visitors center is private property, but is it considered a "federal facility" because there are federal employees who work in that building?
    Yes.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    The IRS leases that space, just like post offices do, which makes it federal. I believe the museum is simply a private/public partnership., and just because it has a federal employee may not necessarily make it restricted. It would be an interesting topic of discussion.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Beaver County)

Just to update on this, the Gettysburg National Military Museum has signage everywhere with prohibited items. Walking in the main entrance there was a security guard asking people if they had any weapons on them and hassling anyone with a bag larger than a purse. There were no metal detectors or anything of that nature.

Overall I didn’t find the museum to be that interesting, there are a bunch of neat artifacts to look at and quite a lot of information to absorb. We didn’t do the Cyclorama or the film.

The Dobbin House is one of the best restaurants I’ve ever been to. I would make the trip again just for their Baked King’s Onion soup and Pecan pie.

Jennie Wade house was over priced for a self guided tour. Interesting to see but not much to actually see.

The Shriver House Museum/Tour was completely worth the price of admission. The lady who gave the tour was very informative and knowledgeable. She was able to answer all my wife’s questions.

Devil’s Den was mostly accessible, there was just a fence around a portion that stated they will be landscaping. We didn’t bother climbing to Little Round Top mostly because the pathways were still blocked off but we were also able to see that all the monument were also blocked off.

Another important thing, parking sucks in the town of Ghettysburg, every where is metered parking and they patrol like crazy.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast