Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Gettysburg bus tour

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I understand that but it still doesn't answer the question. Say I'm from Germany and taking American tour. How would I know if the guide was bullshitting me?
    So why would he do that?

We've been to Gettysburg multiple times. I can tell you that a guided tour is great if you have a good leader. We've done guided bike tours twice, and used this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US the last time, as we had grandparents with us that weren't so mobile, so we could pick and choose which places to stop at.
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

(Bucks County)

Both daughters attended Gettysburg College.

The second spent summers conducting 'ghost tours' in town for one of the two companies run by the two published historians.

She was well aware of the process for the battle field guides credentials and saw the disdain they held for the 'ghost' people.

One of her high school friends mentioned her during a 'certified' tour and caught an earful about it.

The handful of town ghost tour companies are all dependent on those two authors and have no connection to the park service.

That battle was well documented and the certified guides have to prove an extensive and correct amount of knowledge to get the job.

My daughter remarked on how many 'older guys' hit on her in the hoopskirt...usually the ones who didn't tip

(Delaware County)

This is just a question I always ask myself when I see tour guides. It goes back to long ago when I took a horse carriage tour in Philthytown, when it was safer to do so. As we rode through Old City getting lectured on who lived where and when, etc, I asked myself that very question, "How do I know this guy isn't bullshitting me?".
    Yeah, like they tell you it's Ben Franklin on top of city hall or The liberty bell cracked after George Washington dropped it or other such random shit they make up.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Lycoming County)

This is just a question I always ask myself when I see tour guides. It goes back to long ago when I took a horse carriage tour in Philthytown, when it was safer to do so. As we rode through Old City getting lectured on who lived where and when, etc, I asked myself that very question, "How do I know this guy isn't bullshitting me?".
    Google

In this day and age, I imagine they have to be pretty good on their knowledge when you can check on it in real time.

(Franklin County)

Back on track.
    You can carry in the park and on the bus. The visitors center is another story all together. Technically it is owned and run by a private entity but there are park employees who work in that building, which means you can not carry in that building.
    The Hostler

And to be fair, the entire time I was in Gettysburg, including the town proper, my Spidey Sense never tingled. We even biked over to MD for lunch, and still nothing. Really the only issue we had was the place we chose for lunch being uppity. Was highly tempted to reenact the Blues Brothers scene at one point.
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    Back on track.
    You can carry in the park and on the bus. The visitors center is another story all together. Technically it is owned and run by a private entity but there are park employees who work in that building, which means you can not carry in that building.
    Also, the owner of the property has prohibited carry on the grounds of the visitors center. They claim the right to do this since it is private property. I don't agree - I don't believe a private entity in partnership with the federal government should be able to prohibit an activity the government cannot prohibit. It does not work the other way, a private entity cannot discriminate if they accept federal support. I do not carry into the visitor center building, but I ignore the request outside.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Also, the owner of the property has prohibited carry on the grounds of the visitors center. They claim the right to do this since it is private property. I don't agree - I don't believe a private entity in partnership with the federal government should be able to prohibit an activity the government cannot prohibit. It does not work the other way, a private entity cannot discriminate if they accept federal support. I do not carry into the visitor center building, but I ignore the request outside.
    I agree with you 100%.
    Carrying in their parking lot would be simple trespassing, and then only if there is signage or someone tells you to leave.
    The Hostler

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    So why would he do that?
    Lack of knowledge and the need to narrate the tour comes to mind for me.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast