Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Looking for a new range, I live in Delco

I'm unhappy with the range I belong to and I'm looking for a new place to shoot. I shoot mostly pistol and rifle and I prefer to bring my own ammo. I would like a place that lets me rent a lane although if I like the place I'll probably buy a membership. Any suggestions?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Looking for a new range, I live in Delco

Where are you unhappy with? Delaware County Field and Stream is an outdoor range in Brookhaven. They’re a bullseye club. Rules pretty strict. 5 in the gun, no rapid fire, no holster work...

(Delaware County)

I'll take a look at them thanks, I don't want to bash the other range but I'm tired of dealing with them.

Lemme guess, targetmaster.
    FJB

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    I'm unhappy with the range I belong to and I'm looking for a new place to shoot. I shoot mostly pistol and rifle and I prefer to bring my own ammo. I would like a place that lets me rent a lane although if I like the place I'll probably buy a membership. Any suggestions?
    Moose... I'm a member of Delco Field and Stream and I can tell you that It's a bunch of old fogies with a definite safety first culture(Which is not a bad thing in my book).

That aside, There's pistol, small bore(.22 with reactive targets), High power, Air Gun, a great archery range and some skeet and trap.

I've sighted in all my rifles on the 100 yard range and got comfortable with my pistols and revolvers at the pistol range.

Go out there on a Sunday to talk to some of the guys in the clubhouse, they'll feel you out and give the thumbs up, I'm sure.

Anyway, they usually do a walkthrough of the range on Sundays for new members so hopefully you can tag along and check it out.

Best of luck,

Last edited by 4191775; July 10th, 2022 at 08:56 AM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    I'll take a look at them thanks, I don't want to bash the other range but I'm tired of dealing with them.
    I wasn*t expecting you to bash the place you are unhappy with. I just thought if I knew where you were leaving, it would be easier to recommend a place that wasn*t substantially the same.

A bit south there is Southern Chester County Farmers and Sportsman*s Association. It is another outdoor club. I never had a membership there, but the facilities looked nice when I shot USPSA there. Be warned, clubs that sponsor action shooting events like USPSA or ICORE may well be closed several weekends a month for the events.

In Oaks there is Lower Providence Rod and Gun Club. They sponsor action events, but have a dedicated range for that. I have heard, but do not know first hand, that the club will pull your membership for the smallest infraction.

(Delaware County)

If you are looking for a new range (literally), then just over the border in Malvern : https://mainlinearmory.com/
    Make sure you are seated when you see the membership fees.

Quote Originally Posted by William Blake View Post
    If you are looking for a new range (literally), then just over the border in Malvern : https://mainlinearmory.com/
    Make sure you are seated when you see the membership fees.
    Wow! I had been looking forward to them opening but their membership fees and other fees are too much for my blood.

I hope they do well and succeed though.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I wasn*t expecting you to bash the place you are unhappy with. I just thought if I knew where you were leaving, it would be easier to recommend a place that wasn*t substantially the same.

Fair enough, there's a few problems I have with my range.

I'm happy to follow all rules and regulations but I don't appreciate being given a hard time just for the sake of it. I've been a member at this range for years and yet I'm always treated like an unwanted stranger when I go. When I go to the range the question is not whether there's going to be a problem but what the problem is that day. I don't mind being corrected but I appreciate doing something wrong first. I'm 50 years old and although I do like ar's and ak's I always slow fire and obey the mag limits, same with pistol. The only honest mistake I've made that I can think of is one day slow shooting 10 rounds out my 22 pistol rather than 5. I'm basically given a hard time every time.

The range is dilapidated and parts of the range may be out of commission for long periods of time, I don't shoot shotgun there which is good because that's been closed for a couple of years now.

The members system is archaic, apparently the only person who knows anything only comes on Sundays within a limited time frame. This is what lead to final straw for me. I arrived on Saturday to function test an ar I recently put together. I walk into the clubhouse and say hello. The range officer says hello and the other guy ignores me. The range officer then walks over to start giving me some crap. This time it's because I don't have this years sticker on my badge because I never received it. I ask him to look me up and give me a sticker. This is not a crazy request. I'm told that the only way I can use the range is to drive the 40 minutes to the range on Sunday to get the sticker. I protest this and I'm grudgingly allowed to use the range.

I'm beyond tired of their nonsense and I have no interest in ever stepping foot in their club again.

(Delaware County)

Well, DCF&S has staff in the office every day with regular hours. It sounds as if the basic rules are pretty similar. I*ve been a member for many years and the only correction I have ever given was folks in front of the safe line during a target change. I have seen others provide this same correction and always as a polite reminder. I have seen poor gun handling (sweeping) corrected loudly and with authority, but no one was berated over the incident. The behavior was corrected and everyone moved on. I*m sure there is a Range Nazi or two on the membership rolls, but I have never seen one in a position of authority. Just my experiences.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast