Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Looking for a new range, I live in Delco

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Fair enough, there's a few problems I have with my range.

I'm happy to follow all rules and regulations but I don't appreciate being given a hard time just for the sake of it. I've been a member at this range for years and yet I'm always treated like an unwanted stranger when I go. When I go to the range the question is not whether there's going to be a problem but what the problem is that day. I don't mind being corrected but I appreciate doing something wrong first. I'm 50 years old and although I do like ar's and ak's I always slow fire and obey the mag limits, same with pistol. The only honest mistake I've made that I can think of is one day slow shooting 10 rounds out my 22 pistol rather than 5. I'm basically given a hard time every time.

The range is dilapidated and parts of the range may be out of commission for long periods of time, I don't shoot shotgun there which is good because that's been closed for a couple of years now.

The members system is archaic, apparently the only person who knows anything only comes on Sundays within a limited time frame. This is what lead to final straw for me. I arrived on Saturday to function test an ar I recently put together. I walk into the clubhouse and say hello. The range officer says hello and the other guy ignores me. The range officer then walks over to start giving me some crap. This time it's because I don't have this years sticker on my badge because I never received it. I ask him to look me up and give me a sticker. This is not a crazy request. I'm told that the only way I can use the range is to drive the 40 minutes to the range on Sunday to get the sticker. I protest this and I'm grudgingly allowed to use the range.

I'm beyond tired of their nonsense and I have no interest in ever stepping foot in their club again.
    That sounds so familiar. I used to belong to the 'club' that dominates my area. Every time I went it was some sort of hassle. From pedantry about my badge to old-school shooters claiming my son 'swept' them on the indoor range (he didn't). And invariably the 'solution' was either to pay some fee or come back (inconveniently) on some evening the 'board' members would be present.

I quit and joined a more-local shooting club who are far more user-friendly. The facilities aren't quite as nice, but the experience is far better, overall.

Not in/near Delco so I have no practical solutions to offer. All I can give you is a 'soft' recommendation: Join a club that doesn't view you as the 'opposition'.
    DGAF

(Berks County)

Northern Chester County Sportsmans Club works for me. It's primarily outdoors with a rinky dink indoor 'range' that's only used in winter. Everyone I have met there has been good and their rules are all reasonable. I just wish they had more than 150 yds.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by William Blake View Post
    If you are looking for a new range (literally), then just over the border in Malvern : https://mainlinearmory.com/
    Make sure you are seated when you see the membership fees.
    Right across Rte 352 from the Septa shop where I used to work. There's a Fastenal store and brewery back there too.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Delaware County)

I've not used it so don't know the pricing but King Shooters in KoP just opened a brand new range not long ago. I've done business with Kings several times and never had a bad experience.

Last edited by Gman106; July 10th, 2022 at 04:40 PM.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Delaware County)

Thanks everyone for the kind words and suggestions, I think I'll visit a few places to get a feel for them. I kinda forgot about King's Shooter Supply, I've never been to their range but I enjoy the shop every time I visit. Very nice people.

(Berks County)

There is another fairly new range on Shoemaker Road, right around the corner from King's. It's a sister range to one out in the Lancaster area but I don't remember the name of it. If you're going to check out King's, you may as well stop in there too.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    There is another fairly new range on Shoemaker Road, right around the corner from King's. It's a sister range to one out in the Lancaster area but I don't remember the name of it. If you're going to check out King's, you may as well stop in there too.
    Here's the thread for it: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=382654

(Delaware County)

i see that you live in Landsdowne, so I'm guessing you used to go to Double Action in Yeadon. I heard Pete saying on his Youtube channel that the new owner started renovations.
    That was a while ago, hopefully they will be opening soon. I Loved Double Action, no one looking over your shoulder barking orders.

(Montgomery County)

When I lived in Delco, we were members at DCF&S for some years. The archery and table trap ranges are a lot of fun and the Rose are great guys. Every other range was just a bunch of asshats who thought they were the only ones who knew how to handle a firearm and if you shot more than 1 round a minute, you were just there to make noise. Unfortunately they are the only outdoor range in the area. I joined a club in Berks county and it was totally worth the drive. As far as indoor ranges, you're pretty restricted with what's in the area. My best advice is to be willing to drive a little and check out King's, King of Prussia Indooor Shooting, Clayton's, Guardian (best range in the area in my opinion), Survival Trail, or Classic Pistol.
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveIam View Post
    When I lived in Delco, we were members at DCF&S for some years. The archery and table trap ranges are a lot of fun and the Rose are great guys. Every other range was just a bunch of asshats who thought they were the only ones who knew how to handle a firearm and if you shot more than 1 round a minute, you were just there to make noise. Unfortunately they are the only outdoor range in the area. I joined a club in Berks county and it was totally worth the drive. As far as indoor ranges, you're pretty restricted with what's in the area. My best advice is to be willing to drive a little and check out King's, King of Prussia Indooor Shooting, Clayton's, Guardian (best range in the area in my opinion), Survival Trail, or Classic Pistol.
    There is a shotgun only club around the corner from DCFS, its off of 352, cant remember the name.
    FJB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast