Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default ASR mounts - questions...

Hi. I just placed a SilencerCo Omega 36M into jail.

I have a few questions.

When using the suppressor, is there any difference between using a flash hider vs a muzzle brake?

When using the suppressor, is there any reason not to just buy a 30 caliber brake and use that for 5.56 as well?

Other than the not included muzzle device, is there anything else i will need to mount the Omega 36M to my rifles?

When mounting the muzzle devices, are any sort of thread lockers advised?

Thanks in advance!
    -Zach

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: ASR mounts - questions...

No difference between brake or flash hider. It’s when you take it off that you’ll notice. You’ll find some people go down the rabbit hole of sacrificial baffles and what not but it’s not something you’ll notice ever.

I don’t think the 30 cal brakes on 5.56 is common if you’re talking about what I think you are. I’ve got the Yankee hill equivalent on one of my rifles. Let’s you mount a 30 cal can to a 5.56 rifle.

You should have everything out of the box to mount it. To one rifle. There are all kinds of other attachments and what not. Different end caps and all that you can buy though. Eventually you’ll outfit everything to take a can.

Treat the muzzle device the same as any other. Some use threadlocker. Others don’t. If the can gets stuck on the mount the thread locker may give you extra leverage or it may make it so you can’t get it off. I’ve never used any thread locker or rock set on mine.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    No difference between brake or flash hider. It*s when you take it off that you*ll notice. You*ll find some people go down the rabbit hole of sacrificial baffles and what not but it*s not something you*ll notice ever.

I don*t think the 30 cal brakes on 5.56 is common if you*re talking about what I think you are. I*ve got the Yankee hill equivalent on one of my rifles. Let*s you mount a 30 cal can to a 5.56 rifle.

You should have everything out of the box to mount it. To one rifle. There are all kinds of other attachments and what not. Different end caps and all that you can buy though. Eventually you*ll outfit everything to take a can.

Treat the muzzle device the same as any other. Some use threadlocker. Others don*t. If the can gets stuck on the mount the thread locker may give you extra leverage or it may make it so you can*t get it off. I*ve never used any thread locker or rock set on mine.
    Firstly, thank you for the great response!

I kind of thought the brake vs flash hider might not matter with the suppressor on.

I'm definitely proud of myself for NOT going down the rabbit hole on this one in general. I have a habit of doing that and then doing nothing because i can't make up my mind or find the perfect item that has no weight and will last forever.

Realistically, with the amount of shooting i do, any suppressor i choose is going to last a very very long time.

With regard to the 30 Cal brake - SilencerCo does make a 1/2x28 30 Cal brake. I could be wrong, but i didn't get the impression that it was an adapter because the can in question is actually a 9mm bore.

While i might be pleasantly surprised if there is a muzzle device inside of the box, silencer shop's where (where i ordered from) says that no muzzle device is included. Other 30 Cal cans tend to have 5/8 threaded muzzle devices included which also won't help me currently. Maybe because it is a 9mm suppressor they didn't want to assume your thread pitch requirements.

-Zach

(Centre County)

The 36M does NOT come with a muzzle device, it does come with the Charlie ASR mount. The 36M will handle 5.56 NATO to .338 Lapua Magnum & 9mm and you can get either a ASR flash hider or ASR muzzle brake for 5.56 in 1/2x28 or for 7.62 in 5/8-24. Did not se thatthere was one for the sometimes odd 9mm threaded barrels. You can also get front caps in .223/5.56mm * AC4736 6.5mm * AC473 .30/7.62mm * AC4738 .355/9mm * AC4739
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    The 36M does NOT come with a muzzle device, it does come with the Charlie ASR mount. The 36M will handle 5.56 NATO to .338 Lapua Magnum & 9mm and you can get either a ASR flash hider or ASR muzzle brake for 5.56 in 1/2x28 or for 7.62 in 5/8-24. Did not se thatthere was one for the sometimes odd 9mm threaded barrels. You can also get front caps in .223/5.56mm * AC4736 6.5mm * AC473 .30/7.62mm * AC4738 .355/9mm * AC4739
    Thank you as well for the response!

I saw that there is a 9mm flash hider but not a brake. My carbine has an integrated muzzle brake. I'd have to change barrels to utilize it or get a piston system to use it with a handgun (which i don't plan to do).

You are awesome including part numbers for the front caps. I didn't realize they were able to be changed on that model. I wonder what front cap it comes with and if i need a special tool to remove it.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Silencershop had a lot of common mounts, but SilencerCo's site had the end cap and other ASR brakes/flash hiders in stock.

They are clearing out 6.5 brakes so i bought 2 and a 9mm flash hider. 2 more muzzle devices and I'll have everything covered.

I also bought the .223 cap since it will be what i mostly shoot.

Now the fun part.... Waiting.

Thanks for the great responses!

-Zach