Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default It seems like the classifieds section is getting out of hand again!

I know a lot had been tried to stop people abusing the classifieds and for a months excessive posts were relatively under control after a few rule changes.....But it is out of control again. I just counted and 64 of the last 125 posts were from the classifieds cluttering up the real posts. What has changed? Are people now using aliases get around the rules?

I don't know if this has been discussed before or if it is possible but could all of the want to Buy / Sell posts be filtered from the "Quick Links" Today's posts? It would be nice to just see the new threads from the other topics. If I want to check out the classifieds I can do that separately.

RANT OVER.....Sorry about bringing this up again but I feel better already!

(Franklin County)

Default Re: It seems like the classifieds section is getting out of hand again!

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    I know a lot had been tried to stop people abusing the classifieds and for a months excessive posts were relatively under control after a few rule changes.....But it is out of control again. I just counted and 64 of the last 125 posts were from the classifieds cluttering up the real posts. What has changed? Are people now using aliases get around the rules?

I don't know if this has been discussed before or if it is possible but could all of the want to Buy / Sell posts be filtered from the "Quick Links" Today's posts? It would be nice to just see the new threads from the other topics. If I want to check out the classifieds I can do that separately.

RANT OVER.....Sorry about bringing this up again but I feel better already!
    You should start using a custom URL to control what does/doesn't get included with "New Posts":

https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=112592
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Northampton County)

I agree with OP. I think the solution is each thread gets three bumps w/ a 5% discount each bump. That's a month on the BST for the seller's item. After the 3rd bump or at 37 days the thread should auto destruct. Just my opinion.

(Dauphin County)

I see multiple ads from some sellers listing individual items, instead of several of the same type of items, such as handguns, in a single ad.

(Montgomery County)

Gas prices.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    You should start using a custom URL to control what does/doesn't get included with "New Posts":

https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=112592
    This is a great suggestion and it works for the unread threads. Thank you! This is the code that was posted in the other post and it removes all of the classifieds. You can also modify it to exclude other sub forums with the codes listed in the other post (from 2010)

"http://forum.pafoa.org/search.php?do=getnew&exclude=5,6,7,8,13,37,132,146 "

Does anyone know if the "exclude" command can work with the "todays post" search? I tried it and it I couldn't get it to work (but I might have did something wrong)

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    This is a great suggestion and it works for the unread threads. Thank you! This is the code that was posted in the other post and it removes all of the classifieds. You can also modify it to exclude other sub forums with the codes listed in the other post (from 2010)

Does anyone know if the "exclude" command can work with the "todays post" search? I tried it and it I couldn't get it to work (but I might have did something wrong)
    It should. I copied the URL from that link, instead of the "New posts" link, then added the "&exclude=5" to the end of it.

Try this:
    Code:
    https://forum.pafoa.org/search.php?do=getdaily&contenttype=vBForum_Post&exclude=5
    Last edited by gnbrotz; July 3rd, 2022 at 04:51 PM.

(Franklin County)

It appears that that link is fetching posts from the prior 24 hours, not just literally "today", as in, since 12am. The unaltered link behaves this way as well.

Just wanted to point that out since I don't use that link much myself.

This is how i find my deals. Easy enough to scroll past them, but nice to see what's out there, sometimes there's deals and I like deals.

(Bucks County)

It seems like you cant just bookmark the page this code sent you to. The search gets a new name and will work for a while then start showing no hits. I edited the bookmark and put in the original URL shown. And so far it has been working.

I agree there can be some deals here but for some reason I haven't seen anything I wanted since Covid. I will still look at the classified occasionally but with half of the new posts now classified ads I will start filtering them to see the posts I am interested in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast