Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Few Conceal Carry Questions

Now that I have my Pa conceal carry permit (Thank you Philly it’s about time) I want to brush up on the laws here so I have a few questions.

1- my fiancé and I have a few handguns that belonged to our respective fathers that we would like to carry someday (maybe never) but we like the option. We have no idea where these handguns came from and I want to avoid any issues of the gun not being “registered” to me during a traffic stop etc. should I just take them to an FFL and have them transferred?

2- carrying a loaded AR Pistols in your vehicle? AR pistols are pistols but most cops won’t agree with you especially here in Philly. Ive read that some people cary documentation with them just to clarify things. I’d like to bring my AR pistol on the road with us when we go to the mountains here in Pa and West Virginia.

Thanks,

Default Re: Few Conceal Carry Questions

1. Assuming your parents live in Pa, I would take the legal passing on from parent to child and leave it at that. It*s not the governments business in this case.

(Montgomery County)

1) having them transferred isn't even necessarily possibly unless your father's are around to go to the FFL with you. I personally wouldn't - they were transferred legally and that's it. If a cop gives you trouble, say exactly that. They should not use the record of sale as a registry, because it's supposed to be incomplete - this is an example of why it would be incomplete. Knowledge of this and being firm in your stance that you don't consent to having your legal property searched or seized should get you out of most binds.

2) yes that's legal and yes you should do what you want because of that. Again, be knowledgeable and firm and you'll likely be fine. Never consent to a search. I'm assuming you'd be keeping them out of plain sight which of course would be very wise. (Also this is assuming you wouldn't be crossing Maryland. Might want to research WVa a bit but I *think* it's fine).

Also what took so long applying for your LTCF?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post

Also what took so long applying for your LTCF?

I was denied under the old system. The interviewing officer said that I withheld a prior arrest when asked to list all prior arrests. I got my Florida license in the meantime and was able to use that for our cross country road trips. I got fed up with the phila system and the hoops I had to jump through so put it on hold until last week.