Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Off-duty corrections officer robbed, carjacked in Philadelphia; fires 5 shots at susp

https://6abc.com/philadelphia-carjac...shot/12000302/

PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) -- Police say an off-duty corrections officer turned the tables during a carjacking late Monday, opening fire on the suspect in Philadelphia's Olney section.

The 59-year-old corrections officer had just left a friend's house when he was carjacked along the 200 block of East Roosevelt Boulevard at about 11 p.m., police said.

The man told police he got into his Toyota Avalon, and before he knew it, a man wearing a surgical mask and hoodie pulled him out of the car at gunpoint and got in.

That's when police said the corrections officer grabbed his weapon and fired off five shots toward the suspect, who then sped away.

"Police officers, within about 20 to 25 minutes, located the Toyota Avalon about a half a mile away in the 4900 block of Bingham Street. That vehicle was found with five bullet holes in it and also a lot of fresh blood inside the driver's seat, and some on the center console," said Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small.

The bullets went through the driver's side window, the door and the front windshield.

Police said a short time later, a man showed up at Temple University Hospital with gunshot wounds to both of his arms. They believe he may be the person responsible for the robbery and carjacking.

"There's a possibility that that 21-year-old shooting victim may be the individual that committed this robbery carjacking," Small said.

The corrections officer was not injured during the carjacking.

The investigation is ongoing.
    Now this is an interesting event. The corrections officer(victim) shot at the intruder in his car when the threat was already passed. He used lethal force when his life was not at risk, in an effort to regain property. I would have done the same thing, but from a legal standpoint, where does he stand? Will the DA bring assault charges on him?

Default Re: Off-duty corrections officer robbed, carjacked in Philadelphia; fires 5 shots at

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post

Now this is an interesting event. The corrections officer(victim) shot at the intruder in his car when the threat was already passed. He used lethal force when his life was not at risk, in an effort to regain property. I would have done the same thing, but from a legal standpoint, where does he stand? Will the DA bring assault charges on him?
    Hell yes. Crapner doesn't like honest civilians messing with his voter base.
    FJB

Default Re: Off-duty corrections officer robbed, carjacked in Philadelphia; fires 5 shots at

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Hell yes. Crapner doesn't like honest civilians messing with his voter base.
    See, my instinct would be that the threat is not over if I try to put myself in the situation as it's happening, but after the fact I can go back and look at it and see the threat is passed.

I wonder if he'll get any leniency for being a correction's officer.

(Jefferson County)

I don't know if he will try, but any charges will fail.

The perp committed a forcible felony.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

He should be charged for not killing the hoodlum.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

I understand the sentiment, but am curious about the group consensus. Is it a good idea to put something like saying you would use lethal force when your life is not at risk on a public forum? While the chances of a forum member being in a self defense situation are slim they are there. Could saying that you would use lethal force when not necessary in a post now come back to haunt you if you were ever in a situation where a prosecutor was going after you? Would they even be able to find remarks like this and attribute it to a forum member?

"After throwing me to the ground and entering my car, I saw the Reverse lights come on and the car head towards me. I moved to the side and fired several times into the car FEARING FOR MY LIFE"
    SigGendered

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI View Post
    "After throwing me to the ground and entering my car, I saw the Reverse lights come on and the car head towards me. I moved to the side and fired several times into the car FEARING FOR MY LIFE"
    This. Cars are a far more dangerous weapon than a firearm.
    Additionally, he may have fired to effect an arrest in a common law felony.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

See, this is where being a big dude has its advantages. Ain't nobody dragging my fat ass out of a car seat. Alive, I will fight back. Dead, I'm just a limp sack of meat. Ever try to roll over a dead bear in the brush by yourself? It's like that. Good luck to whoever wants to try.

(York County)

I wonder if he'll get any leniency for being a correction's officer.

I thought the same thing: the threat had passed.

As for leniency, he's a corrections officer, however, he's in Philthy.... so what color is he? you need to get all the facts to figure out if he'll be prosecuted or not!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast