Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Why is it always training?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebuckets View Post
    Because training is not a bad thing and strike most people as a reasonable thing to do if you own a gun. When gun control comes up it seems like a reasonable thing to add to a bill.

To be clear I do not think it should be mandated by the government, that is an infringement. I am not in favor of training laws. But that does not mean training is a bad thing. I know people who own guns and have never shot their gun and know next to nothing about it or how to use it. I*ve offered to take them to the range, but they don*t take the offer.

I think they are idiots for not taking the time to train and learn how to use a tool that could save their life someday, or screw them over because they don*t have any training on firearms. In the end it is their life, their choice however.
    I am not a frequent shooter and I am surprised how quickly I forget to properly work my semi automatic pistols. Each one works slightly differently.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    So true! I'm a certified NRA safety instructor (no-brag, it's not that hard).

My gun-club based peers gripe constantly about how folks won't get 'training' - but not on a genuine-concern basis, more on a 'I'm not getting paid' basis.

I'm more with @yellowfin - my dad teaching me how to shoot was FAR more valuable than any 'official' training I ever got.
    I received 46 years of training. The guns dad taught me with are all within 15ft of me as I type this. Shooting, safe handling, cleaning, repairs/maintenance. What dad or any of my uncles didn't teach me, I picked up on my own.

I can tell you which statute covers what. ...maybe not verbatim, but very few lawyers, magistrates, judges, or justices could do that either.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing commercial training. There is certainly a place for it for folks that didn't grow up like you and I.

My belief is - the only way the states could require training is if they require all able-bodied people to arm themselves with a serviceable rifle that is in common use of the time, to appear once every few months/yearly for militia service/training. ...which again would negate that failed argument of their about the prefatory statement in the 2A. Failure to arm one's self or failure to appear would be punishable with prison and fines - the only exemptions would be those that were exempt in the late 1700's, those prohibited from possession(they would have to dig ditches or other public service labor), certain other exemptions for the physically and mentally disabled.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.D. View Post
    Every time some idiot shoots up a place, one of the "fixes" is always "require gun training".

snipped

I must be missing something in this. I'm not a stupid person but I must not be understanding

Please, I would truly like to see what I am misunderstanding
    Simple make the training a requirement for ownership/possession/licensing and set the standard. Then over time increase the goals of the standard, reduce the availability of the classes along with the cost and eventually you have the only "approved" training course offered once a year to a maximum of 20 students at $x,xxx each located in Bumfuque Arkansas.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    Those sick f**cks aren't shooting up kids at schools because lack of training. They're doing it because they have mental health issues.
    Yeah, I had to laugh the other day when CNN posted an article about how some "expert" had dismissed the idea that mass shooters are mentally ill.

Brother, if a person who shoots rooms full of innocent people isn't mentally ill, then the definition of mental illness is wrong.

(Susquehanna County)

Knight0334 - I appreciate your idea but Heller for all practical purposes eliminates the need for militia service.

From wikipedia, but you can read the actual decision if you wish.

The Supreme Court held:

(1) The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. Pp. 2*53.

(a) The Amendment's prefatory clause announces a purpose, but does not limit or expand the scope of the second part, the operative clause. The operative clause's text and history demonstrate that it connotes an individual right to keep and bear arms. Pp. 2*22

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    I am not a frequent shooter and I am surprised how quickly I forget to properly work my semi automatic pistols. Each one works slightly differently.
    Beware the man with only one gun - he probably knows how to use it...

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Knight0334 - I appreciate your idea but Heller for all practical purposes eliminates the need for militia service.

From wikipedia, but you can read the actual decision if you wish.
    I realize that. Wasn't really a idea, just a means to counter their asinine argument they always try to make.

Those 'tards keep bringing up the "well regulated" thing, not realizing that if we play that card that the state would have to require every able-bodied person to own a serviceable rifle in common use of the time, and that the state would be required to train them to become better killers. Not that it matters because that "well regulated" portion is just a prefatory statement, not controlling text.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    Yeah, I had to laugh the other day when CNN posted an article about how some "expert" had dismissed the idea that mass shooters are mentally ill.

Brother, if a person who shoots rooms full of innocent people isn't mentally ill, then the definition of mental illness is wrong.
    I am constantly running into people who try to assign logic and reason to these obviously insane acts. When I point out what they are doing, it's like I've hit them with a board. Like they've never considered shooting up an elementary school isn't rational. Why do people think mass shooters use the same thought processes as they do? Ultimately, they should be hit with a board. It's disheartening to realize people may be as stupid as I've thought all along.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Its just another way to dumb people down for more restrictions.
    You dont train to NOT shoot up a place, you train TO.
    Was going to say..............so if I train I can pull off a bigger/better mass shooting? I'm in!

(Schuylkill County)

Devil's advocate response.

The 2A says "a well regulated" militia. As we know, "well regulated" means proficient in the use of the arms you keep and bear.
    So training is necessary in a world where you are not regularly going out and shooting your food.

Just a thought.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast