Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Columbia County)

Default Re: Why is it always training?

Some firearms instructors are in favor of mandatory training because it will be a money making opportunity for them.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    Some firearms instructors are in favor of mandatory training because it will be a money making opportunity for them.
    Some of the biggest complainers back when WV went Constitutional Carry were the instructors. ....doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out why.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lancaster County)

Training is what you get from Dad at age 8-10 then summer camps and/or scouts.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    Training is what you get from Dad at age 8-10 then summer camps and/or scouts.
    Maybe for basics. I had all of the above. I didn*t learn how to really shoot until I was trained by Vietnam Era vets who were instructors at the academy range.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.D. View Post
    Every time some idiot shoots up a place, one of the "fixes" is always "require gun training".

I could understand if people were accidently "mass shooting" a school, church, etc... But what bearing does it have on these circumstances? What would requiring training do to stop these events? Nothing that I know of. In fact, Could you imagine how much worse some events could be if people were highly skilled who are doing these shootings?

It doesn't make sense that they throw that stipulation in all the time.

I must be missing something in this. I'm not a stupid person but I must not be understanding

Please, I would truly like to see what I am misunderstanding
    I must be missing something in this
    What you're missing is their goal isn't actually more safety, it's more restriction.

Gun training is, on its surface, not a bad thing. It's easy to suggest and hard to argue against. Hell, I myself think any LAGO should happily take advantage of any training offered.

The thing is we're NOT talking about LAGO's here. If you get into the weeds on training for those who commit gun crimes and ask 'what would that really do?' it becomes quickly apparent: 'mass' shootings aren't about lack of training. Those sick f**cks aren't shooting up kids at schools because lack of training. They're doing it because they have mental health issues.

The truth is "training" these sick fucks is probably an actually-bad idea. We want them to be more efficient and effective shooters? Why?

IMO, you're misunderstanding nothing.
    DGAF

(Berks County)

Come on. What are you all complaining about? Stop whining and just go get the training so you can apply for your NJ, NY, MD, IL, HI, and CA permits.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Some of the biggest complainers back when WV went Constitutional Carry were the instructors. ....doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out why.
    So true! I'm a certified NRA safety instructor (no-brag, it's not that hard).

My gun-club based peers gripe constantly about how folks won't get 'training' - but not on a genuine-concern basis, more on a 'I'm not getting paid' basis.

I'm more with @yellowfin - my dad teaching me how to shoot was FAR more valuable than any 'official' training I ever got.
    DGAF

(Franklin County)

I agree that training isn't go to prevent any shootings. If training is mandated, the only training I could get behind would be legal and safe handling training. It could be offered on-line for free and at a convenient time, I think that would.be a reasonable requirement.
    The Hostler

(Lackawanna County)

It gives the illusion of doing something. This illusion is sufficient to appease those who no longer think for themselves.

(Montgomery County)

Based on what keeps happening, it's the police that needs training, but not the sort you are thinking. They need training to grow some balls.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast