Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Maryland license to carry

Please click on the hyperlink and read the entire article. I have highlighted a few key provisions. This is, of course, a result of the SCOTUS ruling on New York's draconian gun laws regarding carry outside of your place of residence:
    SCOTUS ruling has really eased the situation in Maryland. Veterans with an honorable discharge are exempt from the 16 hour training course and associated fee of some $250.00. Still some expense involved. Looks like 75 bucks for a non-resident license. Not sure of the fees for LiveScan fingerprints. Maryland Wear and Carry Permits - Maryland Shall Issue®, Inc. The hyperlink is:

https://www.marylandshallissue.org/j...-carry-permits

Others are also exempt from training:
    Who is training exempt?
    * a law enforcement officer or a person who is retired in good standing from service with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or any local law enforcement agency in the State
    * a member, retired member, or honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard
    * a qualified handgun instructor

Here are some of the details from the article:
    Submitting the Application
    Applications for Wear and Carry Permits can only be submitted online via the Maryland State Police Licensing Portal: https://bit.ly/3rrg136
    "Good and substantial reason* must be addressed in the application with additional documentation written by the applicant. It is better to provide an over-abundance of information rather than too little * attachments for this section are encouraged!

Also required with the submission of the application:
    * Proof of training or training exemption
    * LIVESCAN fingerprints receipt - The prints MUST be for a Wear and Carry Permit (AKA Handgun Permit). LiveScan prints for other purposes do not suffice and the prints are not currently interchangeable.
    * A non-refundable application fee of $75 paid via credit or debit card
    * A recent passport-style photo
    * Contact information of current spouse, significant other, co-inhabitant, or most recent partner within the last five years
    * Contact information of at least three unrelated references who've known the applicant for at least two years
    If using "Self-Defense" as your justification for the permit, upload the opinion from NYSRPA v. Bruen.

If the initial background checks go well, the applicant will then have a face-to-face interview with an MSP trooper or investigator who will ask a variety of personal questions. The interviewer will talk with contact their references and will make a recommendation concerning the permit application. Then, the Licensing Division will issue their final determination and advise the applicant.
    WOP 2-The Original Spaghetti Western

(Berks County)

Default Re: Maryland license to carry

This is the new and updated process? Still reads like a 'may issue' process.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    This is the new and updated process? Still reads like a 'may issue' process.
    Obviously it*s going to take a little time to update things after the SCOTUS ruling. A lot will be changing.

I*ll be looking get the training and apply. Be aware if you are looking at applying here, or elsewhere. There are MD specific courses available, with live fire, by a MD registered instructor. I*m hoping to do one of the NRA CCW courses in MD, with live fire, by a MD registered instructor. Hoping that the NRA course will also be accepted in other states, such as NJ. There was a MD forum member who had issues with Connecticut, and needed that NRA training. I*d hope to maximize the course usability, and I don*t think the specific MD course does that.

There should be no mandatory training. It*s another way they make it burdensome, and hopefully gets addressed in the courts as well. These standards don*t apply to other rights, and shouldn*t here. Any costs should be absorbed by the state. Also limit the training requirements to no more than 8 hours so overnight lodging isn*t an additional expense for some. Many states have no training requirement, and that seems to work fine for them. At least make it usable everywhere. We shouldn*t have to do 16 hours in one state, 16 hours for another state, 8 hours elsewhere, and on and on. Incurring possibly $1000+ to exercise a basic right.

(Allegheny County)

Prior to the latest SCOTUS decision regarding New York's draconian prohibition, you could not get a Maryland "Wear and Carry" non-resident license, and at this very moment Maryland CONTINUES to NOT recognize any other States' licenses or permits. So, that said, yes this is new if you don't live in Maryland. It is still "may issue", but now you have a SCOTUS decision to back you up. PLEASE carefully read the entire article.

(Before folks tell me that 'yes, you could', effectively, Maryland's Wear and Carry for non-residents was so absurdly difficult to obtain that it was impossible for most of us)
    WOP 2-The Original Spaghetti Western

(York County)

Unless you are doing this to make a political point, it is a waste of your time right now.

Maryland is going to drag it's feet on this for as long as it can.

The fact that they updated the website but did not remove the "good and substantial reason" question shows you that Maryland is not going to comply willingly.

Maryland is not even remotely above breaking the law and forcing you to sue them over it.

(Carbon County)

As much as the AG disdains this, MSP issue the permits and will follow the law. They won*t risk losing qualified immunity over this. And they would, as this is clearly a civil rights issue. Give it time, I*m sure there are meetings, calls and emails happening about this right now.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ABuck View Post
    As much as the AG disdains this, MSP issue the permits and will follow the law. They won*t risk losing qualified immunity over this. And they would, as this is clearly a civil rights issue. Give it time, I*m sure there are meetings, calls and emails happening about this right now.
    MSP is highway patrol that has been elevated to some powerful stature in MD.

"Hey you guys that enforce seatbelt laws.... you guys are in charge of guns now for some reason."

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by WOP2 View Post
    Prior to the latest SCOTUS decision regarding New York's draconian prohibition, you could not get a Maryland "Wear and Carry" non-resident license, and at this very moment Maryland CONTINUES to NOT recognize any other States' licenses or permits. So, that said, yes this is new if you don't live in Maryland. It is still "may issue", but now you have a SCOTUS decision to back you up. PLEASE carefully read the entire article.

(Before folks tell me that 'yes, you could', effectively, Maryland's Wear and Carry for non-residents was so absurdly difficult to obtain that it was impossible for most of us)
    This post is factually inaccurate. I*ve held, since 2017, and currently hold a wear and carry permit in MD, without restrictions. It*s all about knowing the law and having good representation.
    Joshua Prince, Esq. - Firearms Industry Consulting Group - www.PaFirearmsLawyer.com

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by SigForLife View Post
    This post is factually inaccurate. I*ve held, since 2017, and currently hold a wear and carry permit in MD, without restrictions. It*s all about knowing the law and having good representation.
    Yeah, there are a couple other Joe Schmo's here that have a MD permit.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by SigForLife View Post
    Respectfully, if you need representation it makes his statement pretty accurate.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast