Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default Re: Maryland license to carry

Quote Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI View Post
    BTW, DE does not recognize MD CCW, so if your goal was DE, this isn't the way. I have both Utah and FL for carrying in DE.
    I have Florida for DE as well when we go to the beach. MD would make a nice addition since you can accidentally cross between the 2 and not know it a lot of places down there. Good point though.

(Delaware County)

Fixing to plan to get ready to get one. Have the DD214 so I won't need the class. Have Utah for Delaware.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Westmoreland County)

I have a sister that lives in MD and just last week I looked at the MD carry laws. Just nutz. But as to this "Handgun Training" stuff......if I read this correctly, it involves strong hand and weak hand shooting? Well, what do they do about an individual (like myself) who has permanently lost strength in their weak hand due to accident or disease?

Just asking.

When I looked at MD laws what I determined (and this could be incorrect) is for me to "take" a firearm into MD, it would have to be in a locked container, (not glove box or console) and the ammunition would have to be in a separate locked container, and neither of these "containers" would be "readily "accessible" by the vehicle's occupants. I read some blurb about in the trunk....but I drive a Ford Explorer......what's a trunk?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemanshooter View Post
    I have a sister that lives in MD and just last week I looked at the MD carry laws. Just nutz. But as to this "Handgun Training" stuff......if I read this correctly, it involves strong hand and weak hand shooting? Well, what do they do about an individual (like myself) who has permanently lost strength in their weak hand due to accident or disease?

Just asking.

When I looked at MD laws what I determined (and this could be incorrect) is for me to "take" a firearm into MD, it would have to be in a locked container, (not glove box or console) and the ammunition would have to be in a separate locked container, and neither of these "containers" would be "readily "accessible" by the vehicle's occupants. I read some blurb about in the trunk....but I drive a Ford Explorer......what's a trunk?
    Training may detail and demonstrate weak hand shooting, but the actual proficiency test doesn*t require it.

Transport laws separate locked containers for Ammo and firearms, in a location the furthest possible from the driver in the vehicle. Some vehicles are more difficult than other so just put them in the back of the explorer as far as possible.. obviously with a MD HGP, those restrictions are not in place.
    SigGendered

I read on one of the training vendors on this site that said if you got the MD Wear and Carry that you could also carry in DE. Not a huge deal since you can open carry in DE. I don't normally open carry, but I didn't want to take the Utah class to get just DE (at least DE is the only state that I'd really get out of the Utah license). Who knows, maybe I will just take the Utah class, as I am in DE a lot more often than I am in MD.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lemanshooter View Post

Just asking.

No weak hand shooting required. No holster draw either. The test required (if I remember correctly) something like 5 shots at 3 yds, 5 at 5 yds, 10 at 7 yds and 5 at 15 yds. Shots are timed but timing is pretty generous.

Everyone passed in my class and the instructors were willing to coach anyone who needed any extra help. All shots must be in the black on a full size silhouette target so its not really too hard to qualify. I think passing is around 70% so you can even have some misses. If you want a MD license to carry, don't be afraid to take the course on account of the qualification.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I read on one of the training vendors on this site that said if you got the MD Wear and Carry that you could also carry in DE. Not a huge deal since you can open carry in DE. I don't normally open carry, but I didn't want to take the Utah class to get just DE (at least DE is the only state that I'd really get out of the Utah license). Who knows, maybe I will just take the Utah class, as I am in DE a lot more often than I am in MD.
    Florida is easier, the MD class probably meets their training requirement a dd214 does as well. You can apply for the whole thing through the mail. It's more expensive for the actual permit, but if you're already going to take the MD class, it would eliminate the cost of another class, so might be a break even situation in the long run.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI View Post
    Transport laws separate locked containers for Ammo and firearms, in a location the furthest possible from the driver in the vehicle. Some vehicles are more difficult than other so just put them in the back of the explorer as far as possible.
    I don't think this is true. I believed it for years myself. It is commonly accepted as true in Maryland.

But I think it is just a rumor.

I know a round can't be chambered in MD without a wear and carry permit. But I think the "separate compartments of the car" thing is just a myth.

There was a whole discussion on this a couple months back on mdshooter.com but I can't find the thread to link

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    I don't think this is true. I believed it for years myself. It is commonly accepted as true in Maryland.

But I think it is just a rumor.

I know a round can't be chambered in MD without a wear and carry permit. But I think the "separate compartments of the car" thing is just a myth.

There was a whole discussion on this a couple months back on mdshooter.com but I can't find the thread to link
    It's true if you're traveling under FOPA, so for any non MD resident traveling through.

LII U.S. Code Title 18 PART I CHAPTER 44 §*926A

18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms
    U.S. Code
    Notes
    prev | next
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver*s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    Maryland law doesn't mention it has to be in separate compartments, so if you're not traveling under FOPA it would apply.

§ 4-203. Wearing, carrying, or transporting handgun.

(a) Prohibited.-

(1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:

(i) wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person;

(ii) wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a road or parking lot generally used by the public, highway, waterway, or airway of the State;

(3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I read on one of the training vendors on this site that said if you got the MD Wear and Carry that you could also carry in DE.
    I'd like to know the basis for that claim. I've checked all the usual sites that show reciprocity and create custom maps when you check of the licenses you hold, and none of them indicate that.

Also, even the DE AG website doesn't show that:
    https://attorneygeneral.delaware.gov...-weapons-ccdw/

For the period from January 15, 2023 to January 15, 2024, Delaware recognizes the concealed deadly weapon licenses or permits issued by following states:

ALASKA
    ARIZONA
    ARKANSAS
    COLORADO
    FLORIDA
    IDAHO (Enhanced Permits Only)
    KANSAS
    KENTUCKY
    MAINE
    MICHIGAN
    MISSOURI
    NEW MEXICO
    NORTH CAROLINA
    NORTH DAKOTA (Class 1 permits only)
    OHIO
    OKLAHOMA
    SOUTH DAKOTA (Enhanced Permits Only)
    TENNESSEE
    TEXAS
    UTAH
    WEST VIRGINIA
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast