Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Re: Maryland license to carry

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    This guy gets it!

I am 2 miles from the border. There are several places I like to go in Maryland (near the MD border the state isn't so bad. People are good.)

But if I am out and about and we want to jump over the line to a MD store or something....nope. Gotta go home first. More often than not I just say "screw it" and just opt not to go to MD.

So actually their stupid gun laws cost MD money.
    Same here. I live 2 miles from the NY state line, that's where all my hardware/food/fuel is located. All my family in NY have their NY CCL, and their PA non-resident. But I can;t get a NY non-resident.
    Meanwhile, my office is Maryland and I drive there for a few days every other month. My youngest daughter lives there too. Would be nice to have a non-resident for MD.

I've lived in MD for many years, and never thought I'd see the day of Shall-Issue. I am happy for all my MD friends and family.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCopper View Post
    Unless this process is streamlined and ridiculous requirements like fingerprinting and hundreds of dollars for classes are lifted, I will do like I have been in the 17 years after leaving that God-forsaken state*. Avoid it and in the rare instance I have to go, I go unarmed, but I won*t spend my money there. I won*t buy gas there.
    I suspect that it will not become gun-owner friendly, just like New Jersey. The best move is to literally move.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-five View Post
    I suspect that it will not become gun-owner friendly, just like New Jersey. The best move is to literally move.
    I did that.

I haven't regretted it for even a second.

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet , the prices for fingerprints are set by each Livescan vendor , typically $ 50- 75 . Some trainers are also Livescan , and can offer prints in conjunction with a class , either included with price of class , or for additional fee .

Prior to Bruen , the 16hr W&C classes were typically $300- 500 . Post Bruen , all over the map , from $150 to $900 .

Some classes are just shooting the minimum qualification , 25 rds & done . Some offer additional instruction , with up to 300 rds or so . Not particularly matching the cost . Some trainers use exclusively Sims ( approved by MSP ) which allows Classes to be given entirely in a meeting room setting . In a state with limited number of range facilities , this can allow greater numbers to get their " Poll Tax Class " quickly , without multiple months long waiting lists .

While Interviews and Reference check still exist on paper , for more than a month , none have actually taken place .

MSP is actually issuing quicker now , than pre Bruen . We're seeing lots of approvals coming in about 30 days . Albeit inconsistently , and not in sequence order of submitting .

MSP is actually hiring large numbers of Administrative Officer ll ( think non sworn background investigator ) to handle W&C and HQL's .

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Biggfoot44 View Post
    Since it hasn't been mentioned yet , the prices for fingerprints are set by each Livescan vendor , typically $ 50- 75 . Some trainers are also Livescan , and can offer prints in conjunction with a class , either included with price of class , or for additional fee .

Prior to Bruen , the 16hr W&C classes were typically $300- 500 . Post Bruen , all over the map , from $150 to $900 .

Some classes are just shooting the minimum qualification , 25 rds & done . Some offer additional instruction , with up to 300 rds or so . Not particularly matching the cost . Some trainers use exclusively Sims ( approved by MSP ) which allows Classes to be given entirely in a meeting room setting . In a state with limited number of range facilities , this can allow greater numbers to get their " Poll Tax Class " quickly , without multiple months long waiting lists .

While Interviews and Reference check still exist on paper , for more than a month , none have actually taken place .

MSP is actually issuing quicker now , than pre Bruen . We're seeing lots of approvals coming in about 30 days . Albeit inconsistently , and not in sequence order of submitting .

MSP is actually hiring large numbers of Administrative Officer ll ( think non sworn background investigator ) to handle W&C and HQL's .
    Is this a simulation not requiring live fire? And MSP accepts those results? Interesting.

An explosion makes something fly out of the bbl .

These had already been approved several years ago by MSP for the " fire one round " portion of the HQL training . The new development is the explicit approval that they would be accepted for the 25rd Wear & Carry qualification . ( Which has no minimum caliber requirement )

What's up about this ?

For context , think of the 16hr Class and resultant qualification COF as primarily a Poll Tax , with any meaningful firearms skills coincidental .

There are a finite number of shooting range facilities , particularly in vague proximity to population centers . Most Class takers have jobs and other week day obligations , so most Classes take place on weekends . That would create a bottleneck for access to " real" shooting range lanes . Being able to also use class rooms or meeting halls with room for 45 foot distances , to avoid very long wait lists . Some Trainers are accepting reservations for available slots in November .

(York County)

I know a guy who signed up for the first available class he could find after the SCOTUS decision. It is in October.

He has to wait 3 months and pay $400 just to have the right to apply for a Constitutional right which will then take another 90 days+ to process

It is absurd that this passes any kind of constitutional muster

Meanwhile the same state of Maryland says that requiring voter ID is racist because even if you gave away free ID cards (which the state does) that the $1.50 bus fair to go to the MVA (their DMV) to pick up the ID card qualifies as an illegal poll tax.

The mental gymnastics in that state are astounding.

(Franklin County)

Today I finally finished all qualifications and collected and submitted all documentation, along with my application. Start to finish my costs were $410.75, plus probably $25 in fuel running here and there for the various requirements.

Now I just have to wait 70-90 days.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Bucks County)

A well regulated blockade plan, being necessary to the fiscal needs of the state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not remain un-infringed.

So mote it be.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Today I finally finished all qualifications and collected and submitted all documentation, along with my application. Start to finish my costs were $410.75, plus probably $25 in fuel running here and there for the various requirements.

Now I just have to wait 70-90 days.
    Thank for going through those steps. I feel safer already.

Is the 70-90 days by statute?

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast