Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default Re: Maryland license to carry

MDSP have updated their website to address this.

* On July 5, 2022, Governor Hogan Directed the Maryland State Police to Suspend the *Good and Substantial Reason* Standard For Wear and Carry Permits.
    Action Pursuant to Supreme Court Ruling Striking Down Similar Provision in New York Law*
    https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...gDivision.aspx

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    Like hell it is.

The MSP are likely to push back and the legislature will CERTAINLY try to over ride this, claiming the NY ruling doesn't apply to MD.

MD will not go quietly on this.
    They did this because they realized they absolutely had to. The lawsuits would have piled up, without qualified immunity as protection. They can fight further, but their options are limited by the SCOTUS ruling. NY will find out soon enough to not defy SCOTUS, as they clearly are.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ABuck View Post
    They did this because they realized they absolutely had to. The lawsuits would have piled up, without qualified immunity as protection. They can fight further, but their options are limited by the SCOTUS ruling. NY will find out soon enough to not defy SCOTUS, as they clearly are.
    Maryland will be right there with New York trying to find ways to skirt the law on this.

Maryland is VERY willing to flagrantly violate the SCOTUS ruling during the 7 years it takes for a lawsuit to work it's way through the courts.

When they get overturned by SCOTUS again they will do something else illegal and put a stay on implementing the ruling for another 7 years while the next lawsuit works its way through the courts.

(Fayette County)

Would anyone be interested in trying to form a group to attend training locally here in Western PA by an MD certified instructor?

I am interested but am trying to see if there is any other interest to get a class going.

(Berks County)

Maryland will be right there with New York trying to find ways to skirt the law on this.

Maryland is VERY willing to flagrantly violate the SCOTUS ruling during the 7 years it takes for a lawsuit to work it's way through the courts.

When they get overturned by SCOTUS again they will do something else illegal and put a stay on implementing the ruling for another 7 years while the next lawsuit works its way through the courts.
    I would suspect this.

Interestingly, I searched for certified MD trainers in PA. There are several and Josh Prince was listed. I'd be curious as to what constitutes a 70% score: ... applicants must shoot a course of at least 25 rounds, from no further than 15 yards and score at least 70% accuracy.

Hit a dime, 6", man size target?

It's still BS though.

(Carbon County)

There are, and will be more, 2A cases, in MD directly, and elsewhere. This SCOTUS ruling flips the burden of proof. It*s not going to take that long to obtain relief from infringements on our constitutional right now. Yes, it*s going to be a battle yet, but we just got a huge win, more are coming very soon. I*m sure AG Frosh has been choking on his mustache the last week and a half. It*s a nice going away present to him. The general assembly will try a bunch of BS, but hopefully NY gets smacked down by their shenanigans after this ruling. We now have a recently reaffirmed right to carry, and Justice Thomas wrote a brilliant decision to make sure that right gets upheld. There are restrictions against what they will try and do to deny our right. It*s going to be interesting for sure to see how it all goes forward.

Nobody is forcing anyone to apply here or elsewhere. But as soon as I jump through the hoops, and get the training, I will apply in MD. There is no reason I should be denied. That would cover being armed to and from my property in PA and MD. And not having to disarm at the MD border. That*s a huge change from the last 3 1/2 decades for me. I will take the win.

(Berks County)

I would suspect this.

Interestingly, I searched for certified MD trainers in PA. There are several and Josh Prince was listed. I'd be curious as to what constitutes a 70% score: ... applicants must shoot a course of at least 25 rounds, from no further than 15 yards and score at least 70% accuracy.

It's still BS though.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin60 View Post
    Would anyone be interested in trying to form a group to attend training locally here in Western PA by an MD certified instructor?

I am interested but am trying to see if there is any other interest to get a class going.
    I*m in NEPA, with a cabin in western MD. I*m not sure where I will take my training yet. But if you are interested in other states CCW as well, look more toward the NRA CCW course, with live fire, by an MD certified instructor. Some other states don*t accept the MD course, but do accept the NRA course. This is what I*m looking at, to eventually got NJ and others.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    I would suspect this.

It's still BS though.
    The score seems very achievable. And you can use any firearm. Not like NJ where you have to qualify and basically register any weapon you plan to carry. The shooting regimen and score is laid out here, starting on page 3 for the basic permit.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...%20(2).doc.pdf
    Last edited by ABuck; July 5th, 2022 at 12:38 PM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ABuck View Post
    The score seems very achievable. And you can use any firearm. No like NJ where you basically have to qualify and basically register any weapon you plan to carry. The shooting regimen and score is laid out here, starting on page 3 for the basic permit.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...%20(2).doc.pdf
    Those qualifications are something that every gun owner should voluntary commit themselves to mastering.

They are bare minimal standards. If you can't pass that qual you should not be carrying a firearm.

I'm not 100% sold on government mandating it. But I do think each individual should personally mandate that on themselves.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast