Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Concealed carry needed for a rifle?

I am wondering about how do I take a rifle to a public range? First I thought cc was for pistols only but looks like one is needed for a rifle with 16” barrel. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Secondly, do you use a hard/soft case to transport rifle to the range (public range)? Is the case really worth buying or is the cardboard box ok?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Concealed carry needed for a rifle?

The hoard will be along to square you away on transport requirements to-from a gun range, absent a LTCF. However, carrying your rifle in a carboard box is not the image we want to demonstrate.

(Bucks County)

Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Wrong.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Berks County)

No license needed for rifle. Keep ammo in a separate container. Your choice on case, I choose soft. And my stuff is kept covered whilst traveling. Out of sight, out of mind.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    No license needed for rifle. Keep ammo in a separate container. Your choice on case, I choose soft. And my stuff is kept covered whilst traveling. Out of sight, out of mind.
    To be clear, do NOT transport a rifle or shotgun loaded. Nothing in the chamber, nothing in internal magazines, nothing in removable magazine that is installed in the rifle. Removable magazines that are stored in a separate container (a separate pouch in the rifle case or a separate container altogether) is ok to have loaded.

(Montgomery County)

No license required, transport unloaded (there is a specific definition of unloaded - chamber(s) and mag empty, detachable mag that's loaded NOT in same container/bag)

Get a proper case, carboad is not protective or water resistant. $10 at Walmart to start..

(Jefferson County)

The only time a LTCF is need in PA to carry or transport a long gun(rifle or shotgun) on public domain is during a Declared State of Emergency or within a City of the First Class(Philly).

Absent a SoE and outside of Philly, no license is required to carry a rifle or shotgun under a trench coat(concealed). Nor to have an unloaded rifle or shotgun in a vehicle. Any detachable magazines that are loaded must be in a separate container. Loose/boxed ammo can be anywhere, including rolling around on the floorboard, carried in a "side-saddle"(like on tactical shotguns), duct taped to the gun, duct taped to your forehead, etc.

There really isn't a requirement for rifles/shotguns to be encased(except maybe under game laws, going to/from/during hunting). At NO time can a long gun be loaded in/on/upon a vehicle. With the guns that use detachable magazines and having loaded magazines present, the ambiguous text of "separate container" could be construed to mean having the gun that accepts detachable magazines and the loaded mags in their respective containers. Pouches on the guns container are considered separate.

Now, in some of those extreme examples - don't expect a police officer to not arrest you. Most LEO's don't know gun laws well enough.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Columbia County)

It also should be mentioned that even if one has a LTCF, you still can't carry a loaded long gun in a vehicle.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar556 View Post
    First I thought cc was for pistols only but looks like one is needed for a rifle with 16” barrel. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Are you sure about that 16"? I believe that Randy Weaver's problems started when they accused him of shortening a shotgun barrel to 17 3/4".

PA Title 18 https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...&div=0&chpt=61

§ 6102. Definitions.

"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

"Fund." The Firearm Ownership Fund established in section 6111.3 (relating to Firearm Ownership Fund).

§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.--

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

(2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Rep Limit.
    Yes indeed
    "He who is Brave, is Free" Seneca
    Si vis pacem, Para bellum
    To every man upon this earth, death cometh, soon or late

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast