Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Gorilla-rated uncaptured Wolff recoil spring

Bought a Wolff 18 pound (recommended stock weight) spring and open guide rod for my gen 3 G23.

Simply cannot load the sucker into the slide and barrel. Guess I'll have to purchase the allen screw model guide rod. There's a video of a guy installing the open spring with no problem. Maybe it's my age and natural loss of strength.

Anyone know a trick for installing a spring that has to be compressed while trying not to kink it sideways and having it fly into space unknown?
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Gorilla-rated uncaptured Wolff recoil spring

easy peasy ...just rotate the barrel bushing 90 degrees and push the spring and plunger in past the front of the slide and rotate the bushing back to capture the plunger,,Oh wait, never mind

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Gorilla-rated uncaptured Wolff recoil spring

Well, got it installed. Took a vice to hold the slide and a hood of metal fashioned to keep the spring from flexing away from the slide, and a leather glove to protect my thumb and add leverage. This is ridiculous. Now I need to figure out a way to remove it without destroying whatever it hits if it get away.

And....how the hell would I handle this thing in the field? If I want to keep this Wolff spring, I'm forced to purchase the guide that captures the spring with an Allen bolt for $27 plus tax and shipping. All to replace the factory set-up which has a reputation of holding up just fine. Only reason I bought this Wolff deal is the gun was made in 2004, was a police trade-in with firing history unknown. It functions fine as a 9mm, .40 cal and 357SIG.

Though rare, the plastic guide rod has been known to break. For insurance if SHTF, I'll be ordering the Allen-head guide. Can't take it with me, and the kids'll just wa$te it.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.