Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New chronograph

(Northampton County)

Default New chronograph

I have a chrony that I've used in the past to measure the velocity of loads that I'm working up. I don't love setting up the tripod in front of the firing line which requires a cold range until I get everything lined up. If it isn't perfect, I have to get a cold range again. It is also somewhat unreliable based on the weather conditions and distance to the muzzle. I've seen other threads about a specific brand, but I wanted to start a more generic thread asking what others use. Unfortunately, I don't have access to private land so my range time is usually at a very busy range. Is there a newer technology that is easier to use and might be more reliable? My main goal is to use it for rifle, but if it can do pistol too that would be ideal. Thoughts?

(Berks County)

Default Re: New chronograph

I have a LabRadar that I'm coming close to outsmarting and I would recommend it if you have the money. It's probably the most expensive option out there by a factor of 2 or 3 but it sits right beside your muzzle so the chances of shooting it are not good and you can place the tripod right in front of the bench so you wouldn't have to go down range to set it up or adjust it. And it has settings for rifle and pistol.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Tioga County)

Yep if shooting rifle you can use a Magnetospeed which mounts on the end of the barrel. Compact, easy to use, consistent data. I just did a review on my YT channel on it.

If you have a more complicated set up with muzzle brakes, tapered barrels and other more difficult set ups you'll have to go with their V3 model. Otherwise the Magnetospeed Sporter works fine for "regular" barrels.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    Yep if shooting rifle you can use a Magnetospeed which mounts on the end of the barrel. Compact, easy to use, consistent data. I just did a review on my YT channel on it.

If you have a more complicated set up with muzzle brakes, tapered barrels and other more difficult set ups you'll have to go with their V3 model. Otherwise the Magnetospeed Sporter works fine for "regular" barrels.
    The magnetospeed Sporter gives good reliable readings however, a tube feed rifle requires you to remove the mounting strap and fish the end between the bbl and tube.

My 1903 A3 only has a short section of barrel to attach it to.
    The V3 is about a hundred more and I'm not sure about the mounting options it may have.

I like mine so far over the caldwell.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    The magnetospeed Sporter gives good reliable readings however, a tube feed rifle requires you to remove the mounting strap and fish the end between the bbl and tube.

My 1903 A3 only has a short section of barrel to attach it to.
    The V3 is about a hundred more and I'm not sure about the mounting options it may have.

I like mine so far over the caldwell.
    The V3 is actually about $200 more but has more mounting options.

Yes that can be a problem is having enough open barrel length to make it all work.

Probably someday I will go the labradar route but this works fine for now.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I have a LabRadar that I'm coming close to outsmarting and I would recommend it if you have the money. It's probably the most expensive option out there by a factor of 2 or 3 but it sits right beside your muzzle so the chances of shooting it are not good and you can place the tripod right in front of the bench so you wouldn't have to go down range to set it up or adjust it. And it has settings for rifle and pistol.
    Thanks! Looks like LabRadar is out of stock and no back orders. I will wait and see on that one.

(Northampton County)

Thanks for all your replies. I might see if I can pick something up on eBay.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I have one too.

Good points - the device will track the round down range, giving you a profile of its speeds as it moves along. You aren't at the mercy of sunlight.

Bad points - it's inconsistent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneCC View Post
    I have one too.

Good points - the device will track the round down range, giving you a profile of its speeds as it moves along. You aren't at the mercy of sunlight.

Bad points - it's inconsistent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    I can't seem to get a 100 yd reading out of mine and I suspect it's an aiming issue. I have a 3D printed aiming device on top of it to assist with that. Other than my errors though, I have figured mine out. Why doesn't your always work?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Bucks County)

I totally understand how much of a PITA setting up a regular chronograph is (especially when the range is crowded) but when I chronograph a load I also want to check for accuracy so anything that mounts to the barrel is out for me. Labradar sounds interesting but at $600+ and mediocre reviews I will pass for now. And it is out of stock everywhere, Are they still making them?

I have an old Pact chrony from circa 1990 and it still works. I have had some frustrations over the years and had to change a plug and clean the optics on occasion but I don't know if there are better options or is it just better marketing for the newer systems. On the plus side I just shot it once. Good for over 20 years without a scratch but finally I hit the plastic sunshield support. Besides the embarrassment I could fix it and still use it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast