Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New chronograph

(Berks County)

Default Re: New chronograph

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    I totally understand how much of a PITA setting up a regular chronograph is (especially when the range is crowded) but when I chronograph a load I also want to check for accuracy so anything that mounts to the barrel is out for me. Labradar sounds interesting but at $600+ and mediocre reviews I will pass for now. And it is out of stock everywhere, Are they still making them?

I have an old Pact chrony from circa 1990 and it still works. I have had some frustrations over the years and had to change a plug and clean the optics on occasion but I don't know if there are better options or is it just better marketing for the newer systems. On the plus side I just shot it once. Good for over 20 years without a scratch but finally I hit the plastic sunshield support. Besides the embarrassment I could fix it and still use it.
    I don't know if they're still making them or not but there are none to be found and their website only shows the out-of-stock LabRadar mini (or whatever they call it). I wouldn't let the reviews scare me off, there are a lot of incompetent people out there and it does have a learning curve to getting it figured out. But on things that I want to make work, I'm pretty stubborn and I have mine reading muzzle velocities, which is all I'm really interested in for now. I was having trouble with it, I pulled out the quick start guide and followed the instructions and it worked...as long as the batteries didn't kick. It uses a lot of battery power. Someone posted an ad for a slightly used one for $700 with some extras on another site.

It's the only chrono that I've used so I can't really compare but I can tell you that it sets up right with you, not downrange and your muzzle is supposed to be passed it unless you have a brake on it. It has settings for rifle, pistol and bow and arrow, doesn't have to be mounted on anything and has selections for bullet weight and desired distances. It logs a lot of data and you can add series. So if you're working a ladder, you add a series and keep that data confined.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I have a LabRadar that I'm coming close to outsmarting and I would recommend it if you have the money. It's probably the most expensive option out there by a factor of 2 or 3 but it sits right beside your muzzle so the chances of shooting it are not good and you can place the tripod right in front of the bench so you wouldn't have to go down range to set it up or adjust it. And it has settings for rifle and pistol.

I have one as well.

The device will generate a comma delimited file that you can import into Excel. You can do all sorts of statistical analysis on the velocity and kinetic energy.

It's not 100 percent reliable. Sometimes it loses track of the projectile. Other times it won't catch it at all.

(Northampton County)

If you*re in the market for a new chrono I got an email from Labradar that new units will be in stock late Oct - Nov.

Stuart

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12