Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default PA Senate reviewing bill that could result in prison time for setting off fireworks

https://www.fox29.com/news/pa-senate...-off-fireworks

PHILADELPHIA - A new Pennsylvania fireworks bill that could sentence a person to five to ten years in prison for setting off fireworks is receiving explosive feedback from people in the industry.

The proposed bill will allow municipalities to place their own restrictions on the type of fireworks that can be set off. It will also place statewide time restrictions on when fireworks can be set off to 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., except on July 2 to July 4 and December 31, which will extend to 1 a.m.

Bryan Williams, Manager at Phantom Fireworks in Penndel, Pa. says that safety has always been the number one priority of his company, but he fears that the penalties of jail time could hurt his industry.

"I think it could be something that could hinder fireworks sales," said Williams. "It's something that could hinder the way people use and enjoy fireworks."

The bill passed the House 160 to 38 earlier this month, and now it is being considered in the Pennsylvania State Senate.

Suharto Olivia of Newark, NJ, says that a prison sentence seems a little extreme.

"Five to 10 is crazy," she said. "You see people doing sexual assault and rape, and they don't get that much time."

Pennsylvania State Senator Sharif Street voted against the bill because he says the penalties are too harsh.

"Look I think we need to curtail it, but sending people to jail for this it just doesn't make sense," said Senator Street. "We have enough people in jail doing more serious things than fireworks, but giving municipalities some ability to make rules that makes sense for their communities also makes sense."

Paul Roushey of Richboro, Pa. agrees with Senator Street, but he also says that using fireworks just requires basic common sense.

"Just use your head. There are instructions on there if you light it step away from it, don't light things in your hand you know things like that common sense if you have common sense you'll be safe with fireworks," Roushey said.

Twelve percent of the taxes from fireworks will go directly to emergency services instead of the general fund, according to the new bill.

Local municipalities and law enforcement are encouraging people to check with them to see what type of fireworks are allowed in your area.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: PA Senate reviewing bill that could result in prison time for setting off firewor

People in the industry don't like the idea?
    Shocking.

And speaking of...
    We don't HAVE to send assholes to jail - we COULD electrocute them!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Default Re: PA Senate reviewing bill that could result in prison time for setting off firewor

But car jackings and driveby's are exempt, among a plethora of other felonious crimes.. You go democrats!
    FJB

(Bucks County)

More laws that will go unenforced. It's already illegal to set off fireworks at certain times and in certain areas (near other's homes, etc.). Just like gun laws, all this will do is scare the good peoolw into not setting them off. The assholes who already do it will continue. Just like gun laws!

Who can afford them anyway?
    FJB

(Montgomery County)

All fireworks will be illegal soon.

They are too easy for enemy combatants to turn into IEDs.

(Bucks County)

They are working sooooo hard to make America better. They are "fightin' fer you"
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Berks County)

my only issue is that some people become so annoying with them. every night during the summer drives me and my dogs nuts. jail time should be reserved for the idiots that hurt people with them. just fine the morons that keep setting them off constantly.

(Delaware County)

So you get busted but they offer no jail time, only a fine, for a guilty plea. Oh, and gun rights lost forever if you comply...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by akley88 View Post
    my only issue is that some people become so annoying with them. every night during the summer drives me and my dogs nuts. jail time should be reserved for the idiots that hurt people with them. just fine the morons that keep setting them off constantly.
    I've watched the police talk to my neighbors about setting them off over OVER MY PROPERTY AND HOUSE, issue nothing but a verbal warning, and then those same people continue to set them off as the police drive away and haven't even turned the corner on the street yet. What good are laws if they aren't enforced?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast