Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mother in law

Default Mother in law

My father in law recently passed away. My mother in law lives by herself and is thinking about getting a gun. We both live in Pa. She is not prohibited from owning.

I have guns to spare. Can I give my wife a gun and then she gives it to her mom? Or is this outside the spirit of the law for giving a gun to a family member?

My wife has a gun of her own. If she gives that to her mom and I give my wife one of mine would that be lawful.

I look at my guns as being our (my wife's and mine) guns as it is. Is that how the law sees it? In other words would I even have to gift my wife a gun to give to her mom or could she just give it to her mom?

Thank for any help.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Mother in law

You're going to get differing opinions on this because if you give the gun to your wife knowing her intent is to immediately give it to her father, that would be illegal, but if you give it to your wife and after handling it or shooting it, your wife decides she doesn't want it, that's legal. Again, this is just an opinion.
    If you give your wife gun "A" and she gives gun "B" to her father, perfectly legal.
    Once you decide what to do, stop posting about it. If everyone can keep their mouths shut, you're good to go.

I've found myself in similar circumstances, I've got a couple guns that were my stepfathers. when he died he left them to my mother who, after a period of time, decided she no longer wanted them, so she gave them to me. And that's how that works.
    The Hostler

(Bucks County)

Have your wife give your mother in law her firearm (that is likely "registered" in her name). Then you can give your wife any of your pistols. This will avoid having to explain anything if they ever run the gun and it comes up with your name.

The best option though is to bring your mother and law out and have her buy her own pistol. I would recommend a revolver since they are simpler to use. And bring her out a few times and show her how to shoot.

It's a grey area that would only come into question in the event of an incident. And I remember that there was a case where the lawfulness of a gun is inconsequential when used in a defensive shooting.

If it were me, I would give my mohter-in-law $500 to buy her gun knowing that when she passes, I get it, and it's just one more gun the government doesn't know that I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    I would recommend a revolver since they are simpler to use.
    I would actually recommend a semi-auto because they kick less compared to revolvers because the action absorbs a good degree of recoil.

(Chester County)

Best to take MIL to a gun store, have her buy her own pistol*, then take her to the gun range for (safety/marksmanship/self-defense) training. Rise and repeat the training so she develops muscle memory.

*Go with a revolver.

PickingPA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    You're going to get differing opinions on this because if you give the gun to your wife knowing her intent is to immediately give it to her father, that would be illegal, but if you give it to your wife and after handling it or shooting it, your wife decides she doesn't want it, that's legal. Again, this is just an opinion.
    If you give your wife gun "A" and she gives gun "B" to her father, perfectly legal.
    Once you decide what to do, stop posting about it. If everyone can keep their mouths shut, you're good to go.

I've found myself in similar circumstances, I've got a couple guns that were my stepfathers. when he died he left them to my mother who, after a period of time, decided she no longer wanted them, so she gave them to me. And that's how that works.
    Lol

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    It's a grey area that would only come into question in the event of an incident. And I remember that there was a case where the lawfulness of a gun is inconsequential when used in a defensive shooting.

If it were me, I would give my mohter-in-law $500 to buy her gun knowing that when she passes, I get it, and it's just one more gun the government doesn't know that I have.
    And just give her the cash beforehand. FFL's freak out when one person pays and another fills out the paperwork.

(Berks County)

Is she hot?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Chester County)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast