Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mother in law

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Mother in law

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    And just give her the cash beforehand. FFL's freak out when one person pays and another fills out the paperwork.
    Most of them don't want to process a straw purchase.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Montgomery County)

I agree with having her pick out her own gun, not totally for legal reasons, but because of proficiency reasons. You know the law, now decide your comfort level. You could easily wakeup tomorrow and decide to give your wife a certain gun. She can wakeup the next day and decide to give that to her mom. But if it didn't happen organically, technically the law is not being followed.

If she is set on a handgun, the M&P Shield EZ could be a great option. Or a revolver with .38 +P.

But a 20 gauge semi auto shotgun (that is thoroughly tested for function) could be a great option as would a Ruger PC Carbine or other PCC. Or of course an AR variant. Just saying most people, especially those who won't practice often , will suck with a handgun but can be decent with a long gun. Depends on her living / visitor situation too.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Most of them don't want to process a straw purchase.
    That's was kind of my point. The FFL is going by the letter of the law and I don't blame them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Best to take MIL to a gun store, have her buy her own pistol*, then take her to the gun range for (safety/marksmanship/self-defense) training. Rise and repeat the training so she develops muscle memory.

*Go with a revolver.
    Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    I agree with having her pick out her own gun, not totally for legal reasons, but because of proficiency reasons. You know the law, now decide your comfort level. You could easily wakeup tomorrow and decide to give your wife a certain gun. She can wakeup the next day and decide to give that to her mom. But if it didn't happen organically, technically the law is not being followed.

If she is set on a handgun, the M&P Shield EZ could be a great option. Or a revolver with .38 +P.

But a 20 gauge semi auto shotgun (that is thoroughly tested for function) could be a great option as would a Ruger PC Carbine or other PCC. Or of course an AR variant. Just saying most people, especially those who won't practice often , will suck with a handgun but can be decent with a long gun. Depends on her living / visitor situation too.
    She has her ltcf even though she has never had a gun. I have enough variety of guns that there is a good chance she will find one that fits her. I am at the point where I may get rid of a few guns and I figure I can save her money on a gun by giving her one of mine. If we decide that it is not within the letter of the law I will let her pick out a gun, take her to a ffl and transfer the gun to her.

I appreciate the help everyone. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebuckets View Post
    She has her ltcf even though she has never had a gun. I have enough variety of guns that there is a good chance she will find one that fits her. I am at the point where I may get rid of a few guns and I figure I can save her money on a gun by giving her one of mine. If we decide that it is not within the letter of the law I will let her pick out a gun, take her to a ffl and transfer the gun to her.

I appreciate the help everyone. Thank you.
    You could theoretically gift it to her and she pays transfer...two birds, one stone. Did such with a pistol my sister had, she gave it to me and i paid transfer

take her to the range and figure out which gun she likes the best.
    then transfer it to her for the $25 or what ever to stay in the bounds of legality.
    I see that she has her LTCF.
    Loan her the gun.
    you can loan a gun to someone with a LTCF and be within the letter of the law
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Chester County)

Lend the gun to her. When she passes you get your gun back without all the BS hoopla everyone likes to go through. It's a gun for goodness sakes and she obviously is allowed to own one.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Lend the gun to her. When she passes you get your gun back without all the BS hoopla everyone likes to go through. It's a gun for goodness sakes and she obviously is allowed to own one.
    All good till she decides to do another drive by and the police find his pistol tossed into some bushes.

If she has a LTCF anyone in Pa can loan her a firearm. Not sure what happens if she lets it expire and still has it though.

I do agree with others that you can get a lot of peace of mind for a $25 transfer. I wouldn't do that if it was going to my kids or parents but for anyone else I would gladly pay it.

(Allegheny County)

Speaking of dying, I wish the thought process that "women should get a revolver because (fill in the dumb reason here)." would die, die, DIE.

Because it's dumb, dumb, DUMB.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

Just have the wife hand it to her and that satisfies all legal requirements.

End it at that.
    Last edited by icp4life162005; June 21st, 2022 at 10:00 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast