Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Thoughts on Vortex Diamondback 20-60x85 Spotter?

I have the option to buy an aggressively priced spotting scope Vortex Diamonadback 20-60x85. I have never owned a spotting scope, but looks through some cheap ones like a $80 Barksa which was terrible. Reviews online seem ok if you go into knowing it's still considered a budget spotting scope. Primary use would be at the range inside 600 yards, and more often than not inside 300 yards. Goal would be to be able to spot some shots without having to take the long walk out every time. Especially at 100 yards which my 8x binos do so I'd assume this wouldn't be any problem. Also might be used for general glassing around the property. Any real work experience appreciated though. It's not going on any western elk glassing adventures or anything...at least not for awhile.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Thoughts on Vortex Diamondback 20-60x85 Spotter?

Mine works great, I'm happy with it. Have only used it out to 400 yards.
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will...

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Thoughts on Vortex Diamondback 20-60x85 Spotter?

Quote Originally Posted by cjweaver13 View Post
    I have the option to buy an aggressively priced spotting scope Vortex Diamonadback 20-60x85. I have never owned a spotting scope, but looks through some cheap ones like a $80 Barksa which was terrible. Reviews online seem ok if you go into knowing it's still considered a budget spotting scope. Primary use would be at the range inside 600 yards, and more often than not inside 300 yards. Goal would be to be able to spot some shots without having to take the long walk out every time. Especially at 100 yards which my 8x binos do so I'd assume this wouldn't be any problem. Also might be used for general glassing around the property. Any real work experience appreciated though. It's not going on any western elk glassing adventures or anything...at least not for awhile.
    If all you're doing with it is shooting, it's more than you'll need.

I bought a new one at Cabelas earlier this spring in order to upgrade from my crappy, old, 15 year old, $70 Bushnell. I use mine for birding. I am completely happy with it. You do get a little color distortion around the edges on highest magnification, but again, this won't influence shooting one bit. Even with the color distortion, it's head and shoulders above my old scope. The other good thing is that they are made in the US and have an unconditional, lifetime warranty.

Audobon gave the old 20-60x80mm a very good review among similarly priced scopes. https://www.audubon.org/news/good-value

The only thing that I'm not crazy about is that they changed the focus knob from the little knob on top to a wheel which circles the whole tube at the middle and this is much stiffer to focus and knocks you off target at full magnification sometimes. But, I'm obviously living with it.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus