Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Default Re: September 12 2022 Harrisburg 2A Rally

you heard him, bring back the pre-rally shitposting wars about attire and weapons!!!
    that usually creates a lot of forum traffic

i'd say just pick a set date and stay with it, sept 12 will be fine until 2026 when it'll be a saturday.
    second monday of sept is more confusing but would remain the same eternally.

worst case on a saturday(2026) no politicians to ignore us, possibly no speakers to preach to us about what we already agree with and a larger turnout with less traffic in/out.
    it'd be easy to remember though. day after 9/11, gun rally.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by pens87pgh View Post
    No, all outside as normal - which apparently is the normal format. FOAC just doesn't have their shit together for organizing this and miscommunicated. I think most of us would have come in more appropriate attire had we known for sure it was outside.

Several of us have been talking quite heavily about trying to revive PA2A (yes, again) to really help drive attendance to these events. Someone needs to step up and help partner with organizations (GOA, etc) to get the word out. Not sure who from Harrisburg (if anyone) is going to "own" this moving forward, but I'm not willing to let FOAC do it again.
    FOAC has it's own issues with splitting into a PAC and a 501(c)3, plus it looks like they've (we've, since I am a member) moved into "suits talk to politicians" mode for interacting instead of the old-style "split up into teams and visit random groups of politicians" mode. If you were there you saw the "suits" team wandering around or posing on the stairs behind the politicians. NRA obviously is fighting for survival and not available to do what we all pay them dues for. And who can forget PAGOA passing around the microphone to random people so they could amplify their rants and advance their tin-foil hat conspiracy theories? Organizing this on our own, whether or not PA2A is revived, is probably the best option.
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will...

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    I dont think I saw a single mention of this event outside of this forum. There are FB groups, reddit groups, discord groups, etc that are very active for the younger gun guys. Overall, they don't seem to be interested in forums, for whatever reason. Of course, I didn't do my part to share this event with them. I didn't realize it was happening until a few days before the event, because I don't often venture into every area of this forum. So just food for thought for next year.
    Honestly, thinking over the entire modern internet landscape-- forums like these are really old school. Only kind of quirky "old-fashioned" or very niche-focused young people use them. Massive sites like Reddit, Instagram, Discord, Youtube, 4chan, Telegram may be less personalized, they host a massive number of people in a format that easily allows for much larger discussions (for example, look at reddit's 'branching tree' style of comments section, versus the linear post-by-post nature of these forums). The sites popular amongst the younger folks also actually allow for a much higher degree of anonymity, with people easily able to seamlessly make burner accounts or conceal their info/identity, which is important to many young 2A supporters who might make 'edgier' comments.

Not to go off on a tangent, but young gun owners are generally on what they perceive as the "3rd generation to 4th generation" of gun culture. Current focus is on NODs, plate carriers, survival/recce, suppressors, small group tactics, CQB, etc. People flock to the aforementioned popular sites to discuss them. That's where the "hot topic" is. It's a massive population that is untapped by our rally, and we should try and make inroads.

Websites I can rattle off the top of my head:
    - Reddit (certain subreddits obviously)
    - Discord/Telegram (specific chat groups would have to be sought out)
    - 4chan (/k/ specifically, obviously. they are already partly aware, they have their own forest meetups in PA where the average age is like 19-22)
    - Youtube (this is where the "hot topic" stuff really is with guys like GarandThumb, TRexArms, etc.)
    - Instagram (this is by far, in my opinion, the strongest sphere for the online 2A is. Huge meme and serious gun pages, instant mass communication with live interaction, a space where people can be as public or private as they wish.)
    There's a ton of others, but those come to mind as the best places (in addition to facebook) to promote a rally to try and make it big.
    Get up

(Washington County)

Yup, I totally get why the trends are what they are. I participate on all mediums.

Here is what I HATE about FB groups, discord, reddit:

Searching sucks.

Forums have great ways of documenting information you want, like finding a detailed thread on how to build a semi MG42.

That mechanism just isn't there on these more popular mediums that are just a running stream of "look at this".

But anyways, not really important to the matter at hand.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314