Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Looking for a good trap shotgun for my 18 year old

For a young buck, I'd start him out with a quality 12 gauge pump, 870 Wingmaster, Browning BPS, Ithaca M37, etc.

If he enjoys it enough and wants to continue, then he can get something specifically suited to trap shooting.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by oldengineer View Post
    I have an 1187, an 870, and a Turkish made American Tactical O/U. I'm equally inept with all 3 but the O/U is lighter and is easier for me to point and shoot.
    That’s what’s important if it’s perfect for you that’s awesome

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by paul641 View Post
    Browning BT 99 plenty of used ones and they are made for the job.
    I'm a Browning guy, and a big fan of the BT-99 if trap singles is as far as he might go. But being a break open single, that's really the only shotgun game that its good for. It's a great gun, and likely to be able to find one in your range, but when he figures out that Sporting Clays, trap doubles or skeet leave the BT-99 on the sideline, you might just wish that you had gone for the over/under. Plus, whenever he inevitably breaks a firing pin on the line, the o/u other barrel can be selected and lets you finish the round or day. Ask me how I know this.....

I really like the TriStar Trap gun. I was at a dealer/vendor show and actually spoke with the TriStar rep that designed the gun, and its a winner. A ton of starter value and a good shooting gun. I have also had my h ands on a few lightly used Beretta Silver Pigeon 28 inchers at around $1200, The Browning CXS (the prior Crossover model) is also a great gun and will handle everything he could throw at it. Spend a bit on a good gun and even if he does not stick with shotgun sports, your resale will not hurt you unless you go from a brand new Browning or Beretta to sell it used. That's where you would possibly take a bit of a hit in the value. Buying clean used and then having to sell a clean used shotgun is not bad and I would look at any lost value as just the rental cost of the gun for the time he owns it.

Of course, if you're like me, needing a new shotgun is one of my favorite first-world problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12