Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for a good trap shotgun for my 18 year old

Last week my son mentioned that he would be interested in shooting trap. He is 18 and about 6 foot tall. He is good with rifles and handguns but has never shot a shotgun. I am thinking about taking him to the Oaks show and looking for a shotgun for him. I do not shoot trap and do not know much about it. Any suggestions for a good starter gun? $300-800$ range?

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Looking for a good trap shotgun for my 18 year old

You might be able to find a CZ redhead for 800 if you look hard enough, they also make the "Drake" which isn't as fancy, but handles similarly for @600. There's also the Turkish TriStar 's in that price range. I haven't handled one of those in a while, but they seemed worth it for the money when I have.

When I started my father gave me a 20ga pump. it beat the shit out of me. I was about 8 though. When I was 12 he gave me a remmington 1187 semi auto 12ga. I still shoot trap with it to this day. Thousands upon thousands of rounds through it. I'll shoot 100 rounds a week some weeks. But nearly 30 years of steady use and with regular cleaning never let me down. Nice part is I can shoot doubles and that semi auto action absorbs a bulk of the recoil, so you can be on the second bird quicker.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebuckets View Post
    Last week my son mentioned that he would be interested in shooting trap. He is 18 and about 6 foot tall. He is good with rifles and handguns but has never shot a shotgun. I am thinking about taking him to the Oaks show and looking for a shotgun for him. I do not shoot trap and do not know much about it. Any suggestions for a good starter gun? $300-800$ range?
    I second the tristar. for the money , you get a lot of gun. if the trigger is a little stiff, swap trigger spring for an M carbo spring kit.

https://www.tristararms.com/series/v...synthetic-blue
    75/15/10

(Allegheny County)

I recommend you go to the club and talk to some of the shooters. Be honest, confess ignorance and I'm sure you will get help. You may even gind a quality used gun for the price of a cheapo.

I have brownings with over 50,000 through them and they are as tight as the day they were made.

I suggest a over under.

(Lehigh County)

I have an 1187, an 870, and a Turkish made American Tactical O/U. I'm equally inept with all 3 but the O/U is lighter and is easier for me to point and shoot.
    NRA Life Member

Thanks everyone, I am taking him to the show tomorrow.

(Northampton County)

Here is a cop out type of reply, BUT it is true. "Get him the one that fits." One that to short or to long to high or to low, I mean there are so many things that will make him hate it. But if it fits right he won't lift his head, and it won't kick the shit out of him, and then he'll have fun and do better, and have more fun:) Nothing more discouraging for a shooter is to go home with a bruised cheek, shoulder, and ego. I still smile at a bruised/sore shoulder, but the cheek sucks. And when you start anticipating the hurt, you lift your head and miss the target, now you ego is hit, and you don't come back. If you can find a reputable dealer that knows how to see if it fits him, and finds one that does, it matters little what it is. And trap guns are different then field guns, not that they are exclusive, just setup different. Going to a club is a great idea in that you will get a lot of advice, usually some not so good, but a lot. And if they crowd is nice after a little while you can try out other shooters guns and maybe find one that fits right. Chance of finding THE gun tomorrow is slim, but finding one that keeps him coming back is good.
    The guy that got me into it doesn't shot anymore. He left many nights with a big bruise on his cheekbone and just got away from it. He also had a long neck and I think if he had the raised comb he might have been more into it. I like my 11-87 or Remington's 870, but that may not fit your son but it is an economical starting point. And if he doesn't like it, there are lots of things he can do to that platform to make it fun somewhere else:)

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    When I started my father gave me a 20ga pump. it beat the shit out of me. I was about 8 though. When I was 12 he gave me a remmington 1187 semi auto 12ga. I still shoot trap with it to this day. Thousands upon thousands of rounds through it. I'll shoot 100 rounds a week some weeks. But nearly 30 years of steady use and with regular cleaning never let me down. Nice part is I can shoot doubles and that semi auto action absorbs a bulk of the recoil, so you can be on the second bird quicker.
    I'd second a semi auto. I'm not much of a trap shooter, but a buddy's dad had a Winchester 1400 that I was lightning with years ago. Pointed and handled great, didnt beat the shit out of you either. Ended up taking it for rabbits at his request/after seeing how trap went, and it was good at that too.

(Montgomery County)

Browning BT 99 plenty of used ones and they are made for the job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast