Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: PA Body Armor Ban to be Introduced

Quote Originally Posted by djeuch View Post
    Right?!? Anyone got any suggestions where to go?
    i was looking at getting a second set now of RMA level IV plates. not sure if anyone else has better recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by akley88 View Post
    i was looking at getting a second set now of RMA level IV plates. not sure if anyone else has better recommendations
    https://botach.com/armor-plates/

I have NIJ certified IV ceramic plates from them and III tested steel plates with sprawl control from them. They seem to have the best prices, and youtube reviews show them testing their plates extensively, and they fair pretty well.

(Allegheny County)

Hesco, RMA, Hoplite, Tencate are reputable for hard plates. You can find them on RMA's website, skdtac, atarmor, esstac, trexarms, etc. For soft armor, you're on your own.

Good plate carriers are made my Crye, PIG, Spiritus, Defense Mechanisms, Velocity Systems and can be found at most of the above sites and many others. Make sure you're not buying airsoft stuff. Airsoft grade gear might be fine for some things but you want your plate carrier to be legit.

Battlesteel is cheap and relatively light but you're trusting that the Chinaman being paid $0.20 an hour mixed that batch of composite correctly and didn't cut any corners. At least they have some that are NIJ certified now.

Do not buy steel plates. They just aren't worth it for the weight and level of protection you get.
    F*#K THE ATF

(Cumberland County)

Spartan is another brand as well. Their level 4 Hercules plates seem to be well made. More $ than some others. Check them on a holiday as they had a big discount on Memorial Day.

Battlesteel level 3a soft plates as padding under ceramic, spartan level IV for MAIN plates

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    It depends on what you're getting hit by, the buffalo guy took 2 to the chest with IIIa from the security guard's glock 19 then killed him and carried on. It definitely might slow you down though.
    He didn’t shoot til the threat was neutralized. Neutralized = no longer capable to shoot back

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    Dammit.... I don't have body armor and never really felt like spending money on it.

Now I have to just as a giant FU to this turd. Because.... principles.

https://www.ar500armor.com/testudo-b...BoCGEsQAvD_BwE

This line is pretty common to see in the military when people buy their own armor. After I kept getting deployed to Philly riots I bought it myself, as I was tired of using a decade and a half old IBA that sat 100% on my shoulders and caused me to be on muscle relaxers a couple days into the deployment, and I still have flair ups.*

Anyway, it is pretty common to see among people who*s job it is to close with bad guys and shoot them in the face. I*m happy with mine.

No doubt their are better systems out there, but it is not bad, their marketing is on point, it is a solid product, and it won’t break the bank, like some other options.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by akley88 View Post
    i love how he is saying the carriers are body armor now. the Uvalde shooter was wearing a vest but had no type of armor in it.
    You need to educate yourself.
    He says it was body armor!!! WHY WOULD HE LIE???

"The killer was wearing a carrier vest, a type of body armor that may have prevented law enforcement from neutralizing him early in the engagement."

Ha. Fuckin lying motherfucking liberal democrat moron piece of shit.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by KPShooting View Post
    Hesco, RMA, Hoplite, Tencate are reputable for hard plates. You can find them on RMA's website, skdtac, atarmor, esstac, trexarms, etc. For soft armor, you're on your own.

Good plate carriers are made my Crye, PIG, Spiritus, Defense Mechanisms, Velocity Systems and can be found at most of the above sites and many others. Make sure you're not buying airsoft stuff. Airsoft grade gear might be fine for some things but you want your plate carrier to be legit.

Battlesteel is cheap and relatively light but you're trusting that the Chinaman being paid $0.20 an hour mixed that batch of composite correctly and didn't cut any corners. At least they have some that are NIJ certified now.

Do not buy steel plates. They just aren't worth it for the weight and level of protection you get.

Disagree. There are advantages and disadvantages to Steel plate vs ceramic vs HDP.

Steel is more durable, lasts forever, can take (God forbid) more hits, and is less expensive. If I*m
    Wearing it every day, I want ceramic, but I*ve seen ceramic break, and I was pissed as shit when my ceramic plate was one digit off plates that were recalled but the army wouldn*t switch mine out. Wonder how many folks died because of defective clay before they figured it out, because I*d had my plates over a year and been in the sand for 6 months ish when the recall happened.

UHMWPE seems a the best choice, if you have money and don*t think you need/want level IV.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Disagree. There are advantages and disadvantages to Steel plate vs ceramic vs HDP.

Steel is more durable, lasts forever, can take (God forbid) more hits, and is less expensive. If I*m
    Wearing it every day, I want ceramic, but I*ve seen ceramic break, and I was pissed as shit when my ceramic plate was one digit off plates that were recalled but the army wouldn*t switch mine out. Wonder how many folks died because of defective clay before they figured it out, because I*d had my plates over a year and been in the sand for 6 months ish when the recall happened.

UHMWPE seems a the best choice, if you have money and don*t think you need/want level IV.
    But for the price you pay for steel plates with the spall shield or kevlar pocket you're around $200. For that money just get the Hesco 4400's for $220 and have full lvl 4 protection AND less weight to boot.

The only time I would use steel plates would be absolute last resort or maybe up armoring a vehicle.

UHMWPE is cool but it's thick and if there's any kind of penetrator on the incoming round, it's going right through. I'd be curious to see if they could mate up UHMWPE with some sort of aluminum layer to grab penetrators.
    Last edited by KPShooting; June 11th, 2022 at 12:37 AM.
    F*#K THE ATF

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast