Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default PA Court Rules Pittsburgh DA Violated the Law in Refusing a Criminal Complaint

The DA should also be removed and charged with something.

PA Court Rules Pittsburgh DA Violated the Law in Refusing a Criminal Complaint Against the Mayor, City Council for Enacting Illegal Gun Control Ordinances
    From Gun Owners of America

Today, a Commonwealth Court three-judge panel ruled that Allegheny County District Attorney, Stephen Zappala, violated Pennsylvania’s Rules of Criminal Procedure by refusing to accept a private criminal complaint from four Pittsburgh residents related to the illegal gun control ordinances passed in April of 2019 by the Pittsburgh City Council and Mayor Bill Peduto.

The ordinances themselves were struck down both in the Court of Common Pleas and on appeal to the Commonwealth Court. However, plaintiffs in the private criminal complaint alleged that Mayor Bill Peduto and the Pittsburgh City Council also abused their office with the passage of these illegal ordinances, specifically by committing an act of “official oppression” as defined by Title 18, Section 5301 of Pennsylvania’s Consolidated Statutes.

Public officials are in violation of this law when they deny or impede the exercise of any rights, and it is classified as a second-degree misdemeanor in the Commonwealth.

Frustratingly, when the plaintiffs attempted to file the private criminal complaint in April of 2019, the DA refused to physically accept and evaluate it as required by Rule 506 of the Pennsylvania Rules of Criminal Procedure. The plaintiffs then sued for a Writ of Mandamus to compel the District Attorney to do his job. Today’s Commonwealth Court decision overturns a lower court decision where the mandamus case was dismissed.

“I am so pleased that the Commonwealth Court has once again stood up to protect the rights of common people in their pursuit of justice and protection of their individual liberties,” said Lane Turturice, attorney for the plaintiffs.

“Today, gun owners in Pittsburgh have been vindicated,” said Dr. Val Finnell, Pennsylvania Director for Gun Owners of America. “DA Zappala was clearly in the wrong by refusing to accept and review the private criminal complaint. Now, I would hope that DA Zappala finally does his job and holds former Mayor Bill Peduto and the Pittsburgh City Council accountable by filing criminal charges against these individuals for committing acts of official oppression by violating the Constitutional rights of their citizens and ignoring the state firearms preemption law,” continued Finnell.

GOA is strongly in favor of strengthening the state firearms preemption law by adding civil and/or criminal penalties for local government officials who violate it. This would include paying the legal fees and damages for the law-abiding citizens who must sue these rogue local governments to regain their Constitutional rights.

Default Re: PA Court Rules Pittsburgh DA Violated the Law in Refusing a Criminal Complaint

Two options, resign or death.
    FJB

(Clinton County)

Default Re: PA Court Rules Pittsburgh DA Violated the Law in Refusing a Criminal Complaint

Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

I*m glad they ruled the way they did, but what does it really mean?

It*s 3 years later, the mayor is long gone and there are no consequences that I know of for them breaking the law. I see nothing here that will make another DA in the future say I better not do that.

Edit, just read more. It would be nice if the DA did press charges but I am not holding my breath.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Two options, resign or death.
    https://youtu.be/i2WxM6DkQB4?t=50

(Wayne County)

Where was Shitpioro when all of this was going on? I guess protecting EVERYONES rights was not on his schedule.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebuckets View Post
    I*m glad they ruled the way they did, but what does it really mean?

It*s 3 years later, the mayor is long gone and there are no consequences that I know of for them breaking the law. I see nothing here that will make another DA in the future say I better not do that.

Edit, just read more. It would be nice if the DA did press charges but I am not holding my breath.
    So now it is time to file the previous criminal complaints, and a criminal complaint for deprivation of rights against the DA.

Might be worth filing a federal civil rights lawsuit.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Berks County)

I would like to hear more about this process of filing a private criminal complaint as outlined in the OP.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I would like to hear more about this process of filing a private criminal complaint as outlined in the OP.
    https://co.lancaster.pa.us/518/Priva...nal-Complaints
    IANAL

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Basically it is one of the arguments for not needing cops most of them time.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001