Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Butler County)

Default Re: My Webley Conundrum

What was the outcome of this? It'd be fun/nice to know...

i'm curious too, sounds like most of the solution was just to get some half moon clips or have someone stamp some spring steel into half moon clips. they're not complicated rings of metal.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

Quote Originally Posted by ShortRound45 View Post
    What was the outcome of this? It'd be fun/nice to know...
    Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    i'm curious too, sounds like most of the solution was just to get some half moon clips or have someone stamp some spring steel into half moon clips. they're not complicated rings of metal.
    Sorry, just saw yous guyssss posts...

I dropped the gun off at cdi back in July to have the slight bit of extra material around the extractor cut so that it was flush with the rest of the cylinder. This would allow me to use the adapter plate I had to shoot .455 Webley rounds, .45 Autorim cartridges on their own, or .45 ACP using full moon clips. The latter two would have to be loaded to .455 Webley pressures to avoid blowing up my gun. The task was done, and I picked it up last Friday from his shop. Unfortunately, I have not had time to get to the range to test it out. But I did test fit .455 Webley rounds in the gun with the adapter plate and the action closes and the cylinder rotates without binding. I see no reason why it won't work. Full moon clips with .45 ACP load just fine, as well.

I'll let cdi go into the particulars of what he did, if he so chooses.

It looks like the plate will also work as a makeshift speed loader, since I can preload the plate and just drop it in the cylinder. When I go to eject the spent casings, the extractor lifts the whole plate, so all the shells can be removed at once instead of just dumping them on the ground. The only negative I see is if I were to dry fire the gun without removing the plate, it could damage the firing pin if it struck the plate while it was positioned between cylinders. Not an issue because I don't plan to dry fire the gun at all unless I have snap caps.

I also had cdi do a trigger job and some cosmetic work done on a 1911. Great work, very pleased. Can't recommend him more highly.

Took the Webley and my Springfield Loaded Champion to the range the other night. Both worked flawlessly. Loved shooting the Webley. Very mild recoil and pretty damn accurate. Ran through most of a box of .455 using the adapter plate. Mrs Ronin shot the Webley and really liked it, too. She usually humors my love of old guns, but this one she had fun shooting. Gotta make sure she doesn't claim it for herself... Can't wait to get my hands on some .45 Auto-rim and .45 ACP loaded to Webley specs.

The trigger work that cdi did on my 1911 was perfect. It's such a huge improvement over the factory trigger. Nice clean, light, break. He also installed a new magwell and a front checkered panel. I wasn't sure if I'd like the checkered panel, but it works really well. Far less expensive than having the front strap checkered. And if I ever want to have the frame cut, it's easily removed; though I doubt I ever will. It took me 14 years to finally get this work done.

webley-1911.jpg webley-open.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12