Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Threaded semi auto Rimfire thoughts?

I'm currently playing the approval waiting game.

During this time, I'd like to explore my options for threaded semi autos.

I didn't expect this decision to be so hard.

I currently have a 10/22 with the standard non threaded tapered barrel, an American Rimfire (because they share magazines), and a mark iv lite. 2 of the 3 are threaded.

Space in the safe is of course at a premium.

So my options:
    1. Don't overthink it. Buy a 10/22 barrel that is threaded and rebarrel. I'm plenty capable of doing this at home. However the cost of the barrel is going to be roughly 200$ or more if i go with something lightweight (which is definitely the preference). Most barrels that are lightweight are closer to 300$. That gets awful close to new gun territory.

2. Get a 10/22 with a factory threaded barrel. This won't cost much more than just the barrel itself. I've been plenty happy with the accuracy of the factory tapered barrel. It is a plinking gun. I could even get something like a takedown for a small upcharge.

3. Build a dedicated 22lr ar15 upper. I'm not thrilled at the thought of having to buy magazines etc. That is one nice thing about the 10/22 platform is that it shares magazines with the bolt action. But for around 400ish$, i could have a barrel/bolt combo from cmmg and several magazines. For a hair more, i could also get their charging handle and ejection port cover. I already have the stripped upper and handguard. I'll have to research if the cmmg plays nice with hiperfire triggers. I know they sell a conversion kit for a hair less than the barrel/bolt combo. But then i have to take off my muzzle brake to use a can. I don't have a 5.56 rated can (yet?). This seems like a bit of unnecessary work.

4. Get a tippman or m&p15-22. Again, space is at a premium. I'm not excited about either of these. I know there are zero issues with the plastic lower on the m&p but it just feels cheap. The tippman has a 'metal' lower. But it also feels cheap. Neither are particularly cheap either. I'd be more likely to go for the 10/22 takedown i guess. But it seems like i see the m&p everywhere.

I like the AR battery of arms better than the 10/22. But it requires magazines (and knowing me - spare parts) so my costs will likely be closer to 500$ after everything.

From a purely cost perspective, the 10/22 barrel is probably the cheapest although the form factor of the non takedown is the least ideal to clean (yeah, i clean my 10/22 often). For convenience, the dedicated upper is probably best since everything is modular and doesn't require tools to get to the fire control group or bolt and i have to imagine a can is going to make the bolt/fire control group a bit messier than 22lr already is.

Am i missing any obvious options? Thoughts?

-Zach

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Threaded semi auto Rimfire thoughts?

I have a .22lr AR upper and love it. It's very simple and being able to use any AR lower I already have with stocks and nice triggers already on them is very nice. A 10/22 takedown with threaded barrel would be my second choice and one I might get soon anyway just to have another .22 around for my son (currently already have several anyway but...), but will likely primarily teach him on the .22 AR just to make it simple for him when he wants to move up to 5.56 and 6.8 SPC which I have waiting for him.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    I have a .22lr AR upper and love it. It's very simple and being able to use any AR lower I already have with stocks and nice triggers already on them is very nice. A 10/22 takedown with threaded barrel would be my second choice and one I might get soon anyway just to have another .22 around for my son (currently already have several anyway but...), but will likely primarily teach him on the .22 AR just to make it simple for him when he wants to move up to 5.56 and 6.8 SPC which I have waiting for him.
    Did you build or buy your dedicated upper?

Which magazine system did you go with?

-Zach

(Montgomery County)

Sell the 10/22.

Buy a 10/22 Charger pistol take-down edition. They come with threaded barrels. This will also allow to to swap on any barrel you ever own or buy as you please.

The adapter to turn a standard barrel into a quick detach takedown barrel is like $30-50.

Put a brace on it.
    110 round GSG mags.

Go wild.

I know I am! Lol

(Montgomery County)

Also, the Pmaca chassis are pretty damn nice for the money.
    Get the lightweight unless it's a bench shooter

One day I'm going to et a gemtech mist for my 1022 takedown.
    FJB

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    Also, the Pmaca chassis are pretty damn nice for the money.
    Get the lightweight unless it's a bench shooter
    I have the pmaca chassis currently. It is definitely a good bang for buck chassis. It does get filthy from carbon fouling. But i like that it is light and fits a pistol grip. It does make iron sights useless though (which is a non issue since i red dot mine).

I'm not into the charger/brace setup. I can never figure out what the atf is going to do next.

So I'll probably either try for a 10/22 takedown or maybe the dedicated upper. The cost is about the same.

I'm not sure what the resale on a factory 10/22 with a wooden stock is. I can't imagine all that much. They are like 300$ new.

-Zach

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    Sell the 10/22.

Buy a 10/22 Charger pistol take-down edition. They come with threaded barrels. This will also allow to to swap on any barrel you ever own or buy as you please.

The adapter to turn a standard barrel into a quick detach takedown barrel is like $30-50.

Put a brace on it.
    110 round GSG mags.

Go wild.

I know I am! Lol
    This^^^^^

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Did you build or buy your dedicated upper?

Which magazine system did you go with?

-Zach
    Bought the Palmetto .22 upper, using Black Dog magazines.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Jefferson County)

Thompson/Center's T/CR22 come threaded - practically the same gun as a Ruger 10/22, with maybe a couple improvements. And from what I've can tell, all the aftermarket goodies for the 10/22 will work.

I bought one off Noah_Zark for the old lady. It drops lead on whatever spot you're pointing at with easy. ....seriously, Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder would have a problem missing with one.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast