Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    (Wyoming County)

Default Re: serial number on an %80 lower

Quote Originally Posted by tbta02 View Post
    What*s your simple question? Not condescending just didn*t think I*d get the *what are you stupid* routine here . Not why I*m here. As per the NY carry answer some one answered can I even buy that in the Bronx ? And thought it was the right reply.. anyway anybody ever comes up with an answer to my *simple question * let me know thanks
    I myself can't fathom why anyone would pay the extra expense for a "build it yourself" lower/kit rather than pay for a finished, cheaper already serialized lower, and then want to serialize it. (I've never seen an 80% lower cost less than a finished lower) add to that the cost of jigs, & bits if not already owned.

That being said- somewhere on the ATF website you will find a "recommendation" that private builds be identified with a serial number/marking so that the firearm can be identified if it is stolen, but that goes for damn near anything you own.

The ATF does have marking requirements which state the depth and size for serial numbers that "LICENSED MANUFACTURERS" must abide by. However, since you are talking about a privately built firearm this doesn't really apply if you are just marking it for your own reasons.

Can you have a serial number placed on it? YES.
    You can do it yourself with a dremel, you can take it to an engraving place, you can find a FFL that is now in the business of doing serial numbers. (see below)
    -The ATF is mandating that Privately built firearms that enter the market place via an FFL have serial numbers placed on them and entered into the FFL's bound book, however FFL's are not required to provide this service(it's their choice)

*One final note: I'm talking about Federal Law. If you really do live in the Bronx maybe you should be worried more about your state & city laws
    Last edited by ExFlyinguy; July 13th, 2022 at 11:38 AM.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Berks County)

What*s your simple question? Not condescending just didn*t think I*d get the *what are you stupid* routine here . Not why I*m here. As per the NY carry answer some one answered can I even buy that in the Bronx ? And thought it was the right reply.. anyway anybody ever comes up with an answer to my *simple question * let me know thanks
    I asked about buying any lowers (80% or 100%) in NYS and NYC, and you replied that you were LE and could buy and carry whatever you wanted wherever you wanted. That's a little insulting to the 'regular' people.

actually I'm retired law enforcement and was able to buy and carry anything I wanted anywhere I wanted too.just was wondering how people can get a serial number on a gun they built without one. wasn't really expecting any one to make a big deal about my question. you were close though was born in the bronx.

I asked again what a 'regular' citizen in NYS would be able to buy and you never replied.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    Well since you deleted your first post you should just lock the thread and go somewhere else for an answer, since you don't like any of ours (even though you were given the correct answer)
    Yeah, really. And why would a retired NY LEO ask questions on a PA forum? IDK, but he got the federal answer right away. I was trying to find out more about NYS laws, and another member also mentioned he should be more concerned about NYS and NYC laws.

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    I asked about buying any lowers (80% or 100%) in NYS and NYC, and you replied that you were LE and could buy and carry whatever you wanted wherever you wanted. That's a little insulting to the 'regular' people.

actually I'm retired law enforcement and was able to buy and carry anything I wanted anywhere I wanted too.just was wondering how people can get a serial number on a gun they built without one. wasn't really expecting any one to make a big deal about my question. you were close though was born in the bronx.

I asked again what a 'regular' citizen in NYS would be able to buy and you never replied.

Yeah, really. And why would a retired NY LEO ask questions on a PA forum? IDK, but he got the federal answer right away. I was trying to find out more about NYS laws, and another member also mentioned he should be more concerned about NYS and NYC laws.
    don't really worry about NYS laws as I retired 3 years ago. moved to PA and was wondering if you could get a serial number put on in case they decide to make them illegal.in NYS you can still get an 80% lower and put one together. anyone other than law enforcement is prohibited from buying selling or owning an assault rifle. regular citizens also cannot even hold a pistol in a gun store without a permit. just holding it in your hand without a permit is criminal possession of a weapon. so things are pretty ass backwards there and I will probably need to know how things are done in a normal American state. won't bother here anymore. sorry I asked. thought there would be more people willing to help out a new resident shooter. thanks guys . any other forums you can recommend where they don't treat you like a ********* for asking a question?

don't really worry about NYS laws as I retired 3 years ago. moved to PA and was wondering if you could get a serial number put on in case they decide to make them illegal.in NYS you can still get an 80% lower and put one together. anyone other than law enforcement is prohibited from buying selling or owning an assault rifle. regular citizens also cannot even hold a pistol in a gun store without a permit. just holding it in your hand without a permit is criminal possession of a weapon. so things are pretty ass backwards there and I will probably need to know how things are done in a normal American state. won't bother here anymore. sorry I asked. thought there would be more people willing to help out a new resident shooter. thanks guys . any other forums you can recommend where they don't treat you like a ********* for asking a question?
    Try ar15.com maybe that or 4chan would suit you better

(Berks County)

You never even mentioned you lived in PA and your location shows the Bronx. I also don't recall if anything you typed provided any evidence that you did not live in the Bronx or NYS. That's what generated confusion and some, shall we say, wariness.

When someone asks legal questions, then doesn't come back for awhile, people's minds start to doubt their 'authenticity.' Couple that with the NYC/NYS ambiguity, and we got a little more doubtful.

Maybe we are a little paranoid, but all Internet firearms forums are getting trolled by either ATF or other LE phishing for 'ammunition' or just plain idiots being idiots.

So a formal apology if I was harsh, but perhaps you understand why some reacted as they did. I can let it go and move forward as the firearm community needs to stay united.

(Washington County)

Buy an 80% receiver, send it to an FFL or engraver for any engraving you want, then you finish it and it was never on an FFL*s books since they engraved an 80%, not a finished firearm.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    Buy an 80% receiver, send it to an FFL or engraver for any engraving you want, then you finish it and it was never on an FFL*s books since they engraved an 80%, not a finished firearm.

But what would be the point of putting a number on it other than having the government keep track of it?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Washington County)

Some people want their guns to have an identification number in case it is stolen.

Some people are cloning a military rifle and want it to appear correct and original, for example a Colt M16 lower with a proper serial number that fits in the known range of production serial numbers from the time period.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Allegheny County)

I guess I'm just paranoid.
    Haha
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    But what would be the point of putting a number on it other than having the government keep track of it?
    How is the government gonna track something they don't know about? It's like writing a number on a piece of paper.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast