Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Polymer Striker Fire Pistols?

Without starting a war I'd like to inquire and poke around those who own/have had extensive experience with striker-fired pistols. I have shot a couple of known brands and a few oddballs to get a general feel of what there is (most felt the same and did their job well). I can now paint a more detailed picture of what I'm looking for based on my experiences. For the record, this pistol will be full-sized with the purpose of home defense/competition in mind. I think that reliability/accuracy is already implied in this manner, so let's list the rest of the criteria.

1. Cost efficiency to performance (more bang for less buck reasonably)
    2. Little to no modification is required for the pistol to excel
    3. Parts are readily available to service the pistol if need be
    4. Has the option to run red dot sights
    5. Ease of disassembly/maintenance

Thanks for taking the time to read this, curious to see your replies-

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Best Polymer Striker Fire Pistols?

I think they're all pretty decent, it just depends on what features you prioritize. I've shot quite a few of them, but hammers are more my thing (I only have 4 striker fired guns: HK VP9, HK VP70Z, HK P7M8 and a Walther PPS M2). Maybe I'll list the best of each category you listed and a few you didn't?

1. Cost efficiency to performance (more bang for less buck reasonably)
    Any Canik pistol. Basically a Walther P99 based series of gun. Excellent triggers.
    2. Little to no modification is required for the pistol to excel
    HK VP9, Walther PPQ,PDP Both have good ergonomics and good triggers out of the box.
    3. Parts are readily available to service the pistol if need be
    Glock wins here. It's not even close.
    4. Has the option to run red dot sights
    Most have this option nowadays, though each manufacturer kind of has their own issues. Glock plates are kinda weak, Walther PDP plates have all the stress on the mounting screws, HK plates have availability issues. Sometimes, I think it might be best to just get your gun milled for what optic you want, if you know what that is.
    5. Ease of disassembly/maintenance
    HK VP9 or Sig P320 Both take down the same way, neither require pulling the trigger. Sig has the modular trigger group thing going on too.

If you were to force me to get a striker fired pistol, Walther would probably be the first place I would look.

S&W M&P 2.0 9mm. Great ergonomics, decent trigger, optics ready models, reliable, accurate, and affordable.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    S&W M&P 2.0 9mm. Great ergonomics, decent trigger, optics ready models, reliable, accurate, and affordable.
    I agree with the SW M&P 2.0. I bought a compact a few months ago. They really clean up the sloppy trigger the older M&P pistols had. The Shadow Systems MR920 is a great Glock 19 clone. However it's around the $900 range. However it surpasses the Glock 19, especially the trigger.

Well, I've had a couple of my Glocks for almost 20 years, and they're still running.
    1. I got them all with my LE discount, so they were all under $400. I'm still using them, so I guess that's pretty cost efficient.
    2. They come with pretty crappy sights, so I changed them. With the exception of new recoil springs at about 10,000 rounds, that's about it as far as modifications.
    3. Yep.
    4. Nope. But the slides can be milled.
    5. Yep.

In summary: Glocks are big, fat, ugly things, with crappy sights, generic ergonomics that manage to fit nobody, and mushy triggers. But they work every time. Tolerate running with little lubrication. Last a very long time. Require very little maintenance, but you can probably replace every internal part in them for less than $100, total.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Montgomery County)

Alternative Take:

There is no "best."
    Every choice is a trade off. The market is full of great products and tons of choice. Clearly nail down your use case scenario and then shop with those requirements in mind.

As an aside, if you are going to get into pistol mounted optics, it requires a lot of time and ammo to become proficient.

Have fun.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Alternative Take:

There is no "best."
    Every choice is a trade off. The market is full of great products and tons of choice. Clearly nail down your use case scenario and then shop with those requirements in mind.

As an aside, if you are going to get into pistol mounted optics, it requires a lot of time and ammo to become proficient.

Have fun.
    I was not a fan of pistol mounted optics until I put a Holosun 507C with the ACSS reticle on my M&P 2.0 Compact. Talk about an upgrade. It's like cheating. I went with green because I have an astigmatism. Green dots, in general, do not bloom or starburst as much as red dots do for me. Now if only Holosun would offer the ACSS on the 507K for subcompact guns.

(Bucks County)

Sig p320....modular system works very well..

Shadow Systems is the runner up with what you get for an upgraded Glock platform...

(Bucks County)

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the modern striker fired pistols and I don't think there's a best pistol just what pistol is the best for you. Every hand is different so what fits my hand comfortably may not fit your hand comfortably. The grip, the weight, the trigger, the sights all play a role in what makes one gun perfect for me and another gun perfect for someone else. The only real way to tell is to handle a few different guns and if possible rent and shoot the guns you're considering buying.

(Bucks County)

I recommend the Canik line. I have 2 tp9SFX's i use for competition. out of the box they are good, change the trigger and they are exceptional.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast