Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (York County)

Default Re: Openly Carrying in Philadelphia

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    I would not open carry in the city just because then you become a target of someone trying to steal your gun. You can't have 360 degree vision all the time with all those people around you.
    The bad guys know they're the bad guys.............................we don't know who is who. I prefer concealed and an element of "surprise".

(Delaware County)

APB: WHERE IS OFC CARSON?
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Carson is a good guy and all but I think he took offense to the last words we shared. He hasn't been back since.
    Took offense? Not at all. You asked a legitimate question and after thinking about it, I typed out a long response and my thoughts, directly into the forum and not into my notes, which I usually do for long and thought out reply*s so they don*t get lost and when I hit send, something had timed out and I lost the entire reply.

I started to rewrite it in notes while on a vacation and I was told to *put the damn phone away, we are here for fun*. And then I was challenged to stay off of Social Media because it was negatively affecting me. And then I realized how much it was frustrating me. I would still sneak a peek here, but on Facebook it was just one controversy after another especially with the abortion issue. And I was surprised by some of my female friends and really had to bite my tongue.

So I am alive and well and less frustrated. Maybe I*ll try to rewrite the response this weekend. If I don*t get the phone slapped out of my hand.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Viper broke that ground pretty solidly. At this point a cop pestering you is not only violating state law, but several moptec trainings (yearly cop con Ed) and it is covered much better in the academy from what I understand due to the lawsuits, in addition to Philly PD being under specific court orders.

Carson can likely provide more specific information.
    Yes we get trained on that every year at MPO, also by radio quips, by General Messages, emails from the Training Staff, etc. and I guarantee someone will still violate it. One recommendation was to have a mere encounter, but if the person walks away, not to stop them.

I agree with some others here, I don*t want anyone else to know I am armed so I refrain from OCing. If you want to, go ahead, but have a plan if stopped and I don*t recommend debating or arguing on the street. Make a complaint if you have to, because you have a better chance of prevailing in a civil courtroom than on a street corner.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Took offense? Not at all. You asked a legitimate question and after thinking about it, I typed out a long response and my thoughts, directly into the forum and not into my notes, which I usually do for long and thought out reply*s so they don*t get lost and when I hit send, something had timed out and I lost the entire reply.

I started to rewrite it in notes while on a vacation and I was told to *put the damn phone away, we are here for fun*. And then I was challenged to stay off of Social Media because it was negatively affecting me. And then I realized how much it was frustrating me. I would still sneak a peek here, but on Facebook it was just one controversy after another especially with the abortion issue. And I was surprised by some of my female friends and really had to bite my tongue.

So I am alive and well and less frustrated. Maybe I*ll try to rewrite the response this weekend. If I don*t get the phone slapped out of my hand.
    Do people do that here? I mean sit down and type out responses like they are writing a speech?
    I don't think I've ever saved a reply and came back to finish it or clean it up. The way it comes out of my brain is the way it goes on the forum, sometimes I regret that but it's more like just carrying on a conversation than giving a speech.
    The Hostler

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    Do people do that here? I mean sit down and type out responses like they are writing a speech?
    I don't think I've ever saved a reply and came back to finish it or clean it up. The way it comes out of my brain is the way it goes on the forum, sometimes I regret that but it's more like just carrying on a conversation than giving a speech.
    C'mon man, everybody is different. Some do one-liners, some do a little more, some copy and paste novels for us to read and others post their thoughts with some of them being longer than others. And streaker can probably tell you that I don't proofread mine until after I post them and I have a lot of edited posts.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    I'm lazy and rarely read anything that is longer than a paragraph... except for Phil's posts which are usually worthwhile.

To your question... I don't do that, although I'd be screwed without the edit button, like Walleye said.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    I'm lazy and rarely read anything that is longer than a paragraph... except for Phil's posts which are usually worthwhile.

To your question... I don't do that, although I'd be screwed without the edit button, like Walleye said.
    Yeah, that's me ^^^^
    I'll occasionally edit for spelling, especially when using my phone, it comes up with some goofy shit sometimes, but generally what is on the page is straight out of my brain.
    I'll decide whether to continue reading someones post in the first couple of sentences.
    The Hostler

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    C'mon man, everybody is different. Some do one-liners, some do a little more, some copy and paste novels for us to read and others post their thoughts with some of them being longer than others. And streaker can probably tell you that I don't proofread mine until after I post them and I have a lot of edited posts.
    I know everyone is different, I'm not judging or stating what is wrong or.right, I'm just curious, i really figured most everyone just wings it
    The Hostler

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsBarking View Post
    The bad guys know they're the bad guys.............................we don't know who is who. I prefer concealed and an element of "surprise".
    This is probably the most reasonable way of logic-ing this out. Open carry and concealed carry are different, but preferential - one is not objectively 'better' than the other unless circumstances require discretion. It's up to what you're comfortable with and what your motivations are. I agree that sometimes concealed carry is a better idea than open carry, but it depends on where you are, what you're doing, and what level of interaction with both the public and the police you're willing and prepared to engage in.

As for OCing in Philadelphia - other posters in this thread have already explained it pretty thoroughly. The PPD can ask to speak with you for any reason, but if the only reason they want to talk to you is because they see you carrying a firearm, or because someone called and reported seeing a person carrying a gun, there's no cause for them to detain you or have anything other than a conversation, as mentioned by Carson above with the mere encounter. As long as you don't give them reasonable suspicion that you're committing or about to commit a crime, you're simply exercising a right, as affirmed by the Supreme Court.
    Junior

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123