Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Two is One and One is None

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Your Magantrac? How do you like it?

Helped a neighbor 30-some years ago assemble his. Well, he helped some. Mostly watched. Got to play with it some after assembly, and my impression was it was too light in weight (too little mass) to do any serious earthmoving, but for a couple with a hobby greenhouse and landscaping business it would load pickups and small dumps just fine, and decent for clearing snow one bucket at a time. The backhoe was useless in shale or dense clay soil.

Noah
    No, the guy we bought it from, he built it. Pretty cool machine. Made loading it up far easier.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Sweet! That's the same generator that I have. I also need a new battery, but I've never had a problem with it. Powers the whole house, minus the hot water heater and the baseboard heaters. If I shut everything else down, it will even run the hot water heater.

How'd you score that and what was the price, if I can be nosy?
    Why would you need something to heat water that's already hot?

(Lancaster County)

Sweet! That's the same generator that I have. I also need a new battery, but I've never had a problem with it. Powers the whole house, minus the hot water heater and the baseboard heaters. If I shut everything else down, it will even run the hot water heater.

How'd you score that and what was the price, if I can be nosy?
    Found it on Craigslist for $300. It was too good to pass up for that price.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Damn, that's a steal. I've been looking loosely for a year or two, but with the geothermal heat pump its tough to find something capable of running it all. Probably need 15kw+, which means either a standby type or PTO driven, neither of which is super easy to come by or cheap.

Now that I have my woodstove in, I may settle for something that will handle everything but the HVAC system and call it a day. Not losing heat was half my focus, and that's settled more or less.

(Chester County)

Looks like an original Generac before they were sold to Briggs and Stratton. Looks like it has the Briggs Vanguard engine. I have the 5500 model from 1999. As far as "clean sine wave" is concerned I've looked into this and as long as the engine doesn't surge and can keep the output between 80vac-120vac high quality surge protectors are all you need.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Wayne County)

Cripes! I paid around $800+ back when I bought it in '05-'06. Yours is in sweet shape!
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Lancaster County)

Cripes! I paid around $800+ back when I bought it in '05-'06. Yours is in sweet shape!
    Yeah, it's in decent shape. You can see it's been left outside for a time. All the breaker reset buttons were a little sticky. I have a new battery being delivered soon, so I'll see how electric start works.

I was hoping to find a method of quieting it down by adding another muffler. Also might convert it to Tri-Fuel.

Longneck (Formerly Northern Lancaster County), Delaware

Yeah, it's in decent shape. You can see it's been left outside for a time. All the breaker reset buttons were a little sticky. I have a new battery being delivered soon, so I'll see how electric start works.

I was hoping to find a method of quieting it down by adding another muffler. Also might convert it to Tri-Fuel.

I have a 6500 that looks identical. I’ve had it for 20+ years and the battery has been dead for years but it starts on one or two pulls so I’ve never replaced it. I’ve never had a problem with it except the low oil sensor went out soon after I bought it so I just disconnected it.

You mentioned adding another muffler – that is my only complaint – it is LOUD!

(Lancaster County)

For anyone replacing a battery on one of these, you have to take the fuel tank off to do it. The battery is in a tray bolted to another tray under the tank. They didn't use captive bolts on the upper tray so you have to get a wrench on them from the top. You can't do that with the tank in place because there's some type of pad covering the bolt heads. I'm considering just tack welding the bolts to the upper tray to make them captive so I don't have to take the tank off again.

(Delaware County)

For anyone replacing a battery on one of these, you have to take the fuel tank off to do it. The battery is in a tray bolted to another tray under the tank. They didn't use captive bolts on the upper tray so you have to get a wrench on them from the top. You can't do that with the tank in place because there's some type of pad covering the bolt heads. I'm considering just tack welding the bolts to the upper tray to make them captive so I don't have to take the tank off again.
    Isn't that what they use to slaughter cows? Odd thing to have in a piece of power equipment.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast