Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Small pistol primers

"...second to Federal."

In what way(s) ?
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Centre County)

When I was shooting in PPC competitions I think 98% of the shooters used Federal because of the reliability with the light springs being used. We shot 148 gr HBWC over 2.5 grs of Red Dot with a Federal 100 SPP. Gave us just over 700 fps which was the minimum for competition. Federals, at least at that time were considered to have the "softest" primer and would work well with the light hammer and trigger springs used in the PPC revolvers.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; May 20th, 2022 at 06:02 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    When I was shooting in PPC competitions I think 98% of the shooters used Federal because of the reliability with the light springs being used. We shot 148 gr HBWC over 2.5 grs or Red Dot with a Federal 100 SPP. Gave us just over 700 fps which was the minimum for competition. Federals, at least at that time were considered to have the "softest" primer and would work well with the light hammer and trigger springs used in the PPC revolvers.
    Still is the "softest". Much easier to set off than CCI. Allows for a lighter trigger pull on revolvers.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    "...second to Federal."

In what way(s) ?
    Same reasons as above. Also I've never had a Federal primer fail to fire. Not a single one. I've had a couple Winchester. Those could have been related to the lighter springs in my guns. The only other primers I've tried were Remington. I had a bunch of problems with them but I was also brand new at reloading. I may not have been seating them far enough. I never tried them again to find out.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Bucks County)

Your load sounds right and I still don't think your issue is with the primers. Bullseye is one of the fastest powders and will always ignite with any spark. How are you metering your powder? With such a small charge an inconsistent light load can make a big difference

(Allegheny County)

Well fellows, I have solved the problem. It was not the Winchester problems, it was the guy dispensing the powder, which would be me. What I did was take apart a couple from each batch, and I found I was not paying enough attention to the amount I was dispensing. I was ranging between 1.9 and 2.0, how I made that mistake I have no idea. According to the bull's-eye manufacturer, what little information there is, 2.2 to 2.4 might be a good starting place. I think I will try 2.3 exactly and a couple of 2.4 to see what happens.
    PS my next problem is what do I do with 200 underpowered rounds, what a waste of Starline brass, Winchester primers and projectiles.

(Allegheny County)

Well fellows, I have solved the problem. It was not the Winchesterprimers, it was the guy dispensing the powder, which would be me. What I did was take apart a couple from each batch, and I found I was not paying enough attention to the amount I was dispensing. I was ranging between 1.9 and 2.0, how I made that mistake I have no idea. According to the bull's-eye manufacturer, what little information there is, 2.2 to 2.4 might be a good starting place. I think I will try 2.3 exactly and a couple of 2.4 to see what happens. What do you think ?
    PS my next problem is what do I do with 200 underpowered rounds, what a waste of Starline brass, Winchester primers and projectiles.
    Last edited by joeyj; May 21st, 2022 at 09:50 PM. Reason: mis spell

(Susquehanna County)

Good. All the components including the powder is salvage able. Simply pull the bullets and dump the powder into a suitable container. Your brass will already primed an sized. So you can start reloading with dispensing the powder and bell the case moth and seat the bullets. Voila loaded cartridges!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Good. All the components including the powder is salvage able. Simply pull the bullets and dump the powder into a suitable container. Your brass will already primed an sized. So you can start reloading with dispensing the powder and bell the case moth and seat the bullets. Voila loaded cartridges!
    I'm with this route. Chalk one up to, "It sucks but it could have been worse", and tear them down and reload. When I first started asking about reloading, everyone told me to get a bullet unloading hammer.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I'm with this route. Chalk one up to, "It sucks but it could have been worse", and tear them down and reload. When I first started asking about reloading, everyone told me to get a bullet unloading hammer.
    Yup! Absolfrackinglutely! Your "inertia bullet puller" is your "reloaders eraser" a must have for every reloader!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast