Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Small pistol primers

Men, I've been using CCI primers for a couple of years now. Before the ammo crisis started I picked up a box of Winchester primers. My dealer said they were the most popular selling primers he had. I loaded some 38 S&W and went to the range today. It was terrible, when I dumped the cases a lot of them had unburnt powder in them, only a couple of the rounds sounded right, and the last one I shot is still sticking in the barrel. Has anybody else had unhappy experiences with Winchester primers, let me know. Joe

(Berks County)

Default Re: Small pistol primers

Quote Originally Posted by joeyj View Post
    Men, I've been using CCI primers for a couple of years now. Before the ammo crisis started I picked up a box of Winchester primers. My dealer said they were the most popular selling primers he had. I loaded some 38 S&W and went to the range today. It was terrible, when I dumped the cases a lot of them had unburnt powder in them, only a couple of the rounds sounded right, and the last one I shot is still sticking in the barrel. Has anybody else had unhappy experiences with Winchester primers, let me know. Joe
    I have some older ones that didn't look right after being shot. I loaded some more and will see what they do.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by joeyj View Post
    Picture or description of the primers ?

What powder and load?

What bullet weight?
    SigGendered

(Bucks County)

Sounds like a problem with your powder or charge. Its not the primers. Did you load a 38 S&W before and was this a starting or max load? A 38 S&W is a very anemic round to start and the modern loading data is even milder and have the bullets barely leaving the barrel. That is why you have all of the unburn't powder.

Try a 158+ grain bullet and load closer to max if you have a quality pistol.

(Allegheny County)

Do you wet tumble your brass ?

(Allegheny County)

Will you let me know what results you got. Joe

(Lackawanna County)

I’ve got some new stock to load up. Never had a problem with Winnie’s

(Allegheny County)

1st. I used 2.1 grains of bull's-eye power.
    2nd. According to the Missouri bullet company it is a .361 diameter, 145 grain round nose brinell 12 optimized for 38 S&W.
    3rd. The pistol is a WEBLEY Mark 4. It shows holster ware, it says it has a war finish, but it doesn't have any dings or rust on it.
    4th. Although it is a break top pistol, it locks up really tight, if overloaded, I can't see any way the brass would come flying back, I guess the weakest part would be the cylinder, but I have no experience at all with exploding guns. Joe

(Bucks County)

Never had a fire problem with any Winchester primer, but I will say they are the only brand that doesn't feed well in my RCBS hand priming tool.

Reading about that Webley, it was originally designed to fire a 200 grain bullet. It weighs 2.4 pounds. I think the pistol is robust enough to handle a 145 grain bullet pushed by a load a bit heavier than 2.1 grains of Bullseye. From your descriptions, it sounds like the problem is too light a propellant charge. Especially the one about a bullet that failed to clear the barrel.
    Last edited by Bang; May 19th, 2022 at 03:44 PM.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

I've shot at least 10k 9mm using Winchester primers. They work great. I think they are only second to Federal.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast