Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Century Arms VSKA

Anyone bought and shot a VSKA somewhat recently, or know someone personally who has?

I've got an itch for a new AK, and import prices are ridiculous. Yes, I've seen the videos from 2019 of the barrel pin issue, but supposedly Century addressed the problem (if you have information contradicting that, please share). I'd ask at AKFiles, but they're import snobs and juvenile jerkoffs, to put it mildly.

BFT-47 is out of the question for right now, because LGS has it for the same price as a WASR, and Century just issued a recall on it.

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Century Arms VSKA

If century can't build the expensive version right why would you expect more from the cheap one?

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    If century can't build the expensive version right why would you expect more from the cheap one?
    Well, if firearms are anything like cars, sometimes manufacturers try to "make something better" and royally screw it up. The newer model is not necessarily better.

I've seen some pretty screwed up stuff on older and even a few newer WASRs, so I'm not sure I trust some babushka over in Romania a whole lot more than the Century monkeys.

(Philadelphia County)

No. No. And No.

VSKA's are notorious for parts that aren't properly heat treated such as the bolt and barrel trunnion. Sadly we're all going to have to deal with the fact that the days of getting a cheap AK are over. Learn what to look for in a properly manufactured AK, find a WASR and look it over to make sure the sights aren't canted and the rivets are straight. And if it comes with the US-made hardwood furniture, throw that junk out and replace it with something else. That stuff that Century used has issues cracking after after about 10 rounds. If you're still going to say something about not wanting a WASR, well I hope you're willing to open up your wallet for a Norinco MAK-90 or an older SAR-1.

Go buy a psa. Gen3 or newer. Centurybuilt aks are hot garbage, they are so bad they issued a recall on their new bft47 that was supposed to be their top of the line.

(Philadelphia County)

If you can gather the means PLEASE try and afford the Arsenal SAM-7 series of milled receiver AKs
    They are simply 200% better and will reward you with being able to hit 8" targets at 200 yards out with regularity as well as the front signs will be near or in the center if the adjustment range, Simply if you spend $8-900 you will reward yourself with something you will trade off or keep and be unhappy with, Spend the $1700 if you can and you will find you own a real weapon which will reward you with Accuracy, Reliability and a Quality machine,
    I just checked the prices and Oh man they jumped up, They were just $1400 a few months back,
    Hope you find something that you enjoy!

(Montgomery County)

I have a VSKA and i love it! I have and have had many AK variants and this rifle is simply the best shooter for the money right now. Sure you can get a Z PAP or a PSA for 900 to $1000, but why spend the money on your first AK? Save the extra 300 bucks and put it towards some good optics or a furniture upgrade, or both. Here's mine, i swapped out the cheesy black plastic for some russian wood. Mine is the para model and it runs flawlessly.
    Last edited by Jon Saeger; August 21st, 2022 at 09:22 PM.

(Columbia County)

I don't trust Century Arms. Maybe those expensive imports are a good investment. Sloppy Joe could at any moment stop importation via executive order just like George Bush SR did in 1989. If that happens and you got one you can add more to it's resell value. I suggest looking at Zastava M70.

(Bucks County)

Bought my WASR 10/63 four days after Obama 1 was elected. Done by Century, everything perfect. I absolutely am enthralled with this rifle. Dealers trying to sell their brands of AKs spread a lot of bad about the Century stuff. They are Romanian battle rifles converted to semi-auto. Look for correct pinning of sights and gas block, and learn how to modify the trigger if it has trigger slap (ouch)...an easy fix...otherwise they are a joy.

ETA: Century started doing them right long ago.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Bought my WASR 10/63 four days after Obama 1 was elected. Done by Century, everything perfect. I absolutely am enthralled with this rifle. Dealers trying to sell their brands of AKs spread a lot of bad about the Century stuff. They are Romanian battle rifles converted to semi-auto. Look for correct pinning of sights and gas block, and learn how to modify the trigger if it has trigger slap (ouch)...an easy fix...otherwise they are a joy.

ETA: Century started doing them right long ago.
    I have that rifle and also really like it. It had a problem with the mag release pin backing out but a drop of blue Loctite fixed it.
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast