Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: New Henry H012G

(Allegheny County)

Default New Henry H012G

I looked around for a used .44 mag single shot or lever gun with no luck. A couple months ago I ordered a Henry in .44 mag.
    I was in Phoenix boarding a plane and got a call from my LGS that the Henry was in.
    2 days later, I picked it up. I had already ordered a large loop and a scope base.
    2022-05-01_06-53-02 by poofy27, on Flickr

I had an older Bushnell 3X9. I put the large loop on, lapped the rings, installed the Bushnell and was ready for a range day.

I had about 4 or 500 rounds loaded for my Ruger RedHawk so took those.
    I had about 4 different loads to try and had issues getting on paper.
    After a few dozen rounds, I felt the scope was a problem.

Came home and exchanged the scope for a Leupold VX1 3X9.

Today was my second range day.
    I had existing rounds loaded with W296 (24.0 gr) under 240 gr IMI soft points.
    I reloaded more of those but loaded them like I would a rifle round.
    I also loaded the same bullet over some H110 (24.0 gr) and some I4227 (23.5 gr).
    I had old stock factory loads ( Rangemaster 240 gr jacketed HPs) as well.

I used the older W296 loads to get on paper ( I had no small mirror to bore sight the rifle).

The trigger had a very short takeup and a nice crisp break. The takeup seemed to almost go away with more shooting.

I wasn't impressed with the grouping yet but will work on a good accurate load given more time.

The new loads of W296 ( mag primer) averaged 1716 fps.
    The H110 loads (also mag primers) avgd 1774.
    The I4227 loads ( std LPP) avgd 1514 fps

I bought a new Magneetospeed chrony ( the cheaper version) and it wouldnt read until I mounted it sideways. Flickr is slow so that pic is in limbo.

I'm really happy with the rifle and hope I can get a load that groups well.

I looked at a Maximun point blank range calculator and with a BC of .175, a speed of 1725 fps, the near zero is 13 yds, the far zero is 149 yards and the maximum point blank range for an 8 inch (deer vitals) target is 174 yards ( 3.77 inches high at 100 yds).

I figured this rifle to be a 125 gun.

All in all, I'm very happy with it, its fun to shoot and I can't wait for our "old mans and young kids rifle doe season" this year.

I bought 1K of these IMI 240s 10 years ago so the cost per round is quite a bit lower than a Remington copper solid ( now discontinued anyway) slugs which were my go to sabot till now.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Default Re: New Henry H012G

I thought this was in the "firearms for sale" section and got super excited. Now I'm a bit sad.

Aside from that, congratulations, it looks super sharp. I really like it.

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: New Henry H012G

That’s a beauty! Thanks for posting! I have never hunted deer with that caliber. Is it a pretty decent hunting cartridge for deer? It looks like it would be a lot of fun to hunt deer with that gun! Have fun and good luck hunting.