Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Anyone build a PSA AR-10 rifle?

Anyone build a PSA AR-10 rifle in anything other than .308? Have a customer who wants to build one with a .243 barrel. I couldn't see where PSA had any .243 barrels for it. If no PSA barrel who's barrel might go on that upper without any problems. I am having him call PSA to ask whose style is their AR-10 upper and do they recommend specific companies AR-10 barrels.

Thanks for any inputs.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Cambria County)

Default Re: Anyone build a PSA AR-10 rifle?

A few years back 243 was a hot item but the 6.5 Creedmoor took it's place , now the 243 barrels are as much as a creedmoor complete upper . I do have one from a few years ago and never give it up ! Good luck in your search .
    DAN

(Bucks County)

I have built a couple*. And have a box full of 6.5 Creedmoor parts that has been waiting on me for a year now** maybe this week I*ll throw it together! I would think any AR-10 Barrel would work fine! Despite their Bum wrap*. I have built many AR15*s with PSA part*. They all ran and shot well*. No complaints!
    Good luck!
    Fred
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

(Lancaster County)

I'm sitting on a .260 barrel I want to put in a PSA upper I have. Got a JP bolt to match it, just need a day or weekend free to install that isn't encumbered by other tasks.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Centre County)

Customer ended up getting a 6.5 Creedmore upper (from PSA) and went with that. He assembled the lower at my place so I could show him some easier way to do things and what to watch for if/when he takes it apart for any reason. He's pretty happy with it so far.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

I know two guys that have them and have no issues. Accurate and reliable.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

I have a PSA GenII .308 upper on a DPMS LR308 Gen 1 lower,
    accurate and reliable, no issues
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

I have assembled numerous PA10/65's, no issues ... however, since there are no Mil-Spec guidelines for Large Frame AR's, I do strongly suggest using mostly PSA parts in a PA10 ( LPK specifically ) There are numerous subtle , measurable differences between some of the parts.

Barrel wise, I have used PSA / DC Machine , Criterion, FN CHF CL, Aero / BA, Krieger , Faxon... all are a DPMS pattern.... various gas lengths and barrel lengths.

I would suggest an adj. GB. The only barrel manufacturer that had a ( IMHO ) properly ( reasonably ) sized gas port was Krieger.

I also suggest lapping the upper receiver face flat... easy to do, PTG makes a great tool for it.

FWIW.. the 22" Criterion in 6.5CM shoots outstandingly.

(Franklin County)

I'm curious why someone would wan this. What can a .243 do that the .308 can't. I own both calibers, but on this platform I see no benefit. If you are a reloader, .30 cal projectiles are much more plentiful and less expensive. If shooting factory, price is also slanted towards .308. I have a Gen 2 lower on a Gen 3 upper. I have probably 500 rds through it. As long as the gas system is tuned right, it's 100% reliable. I run mine with a Vortex Strike Eagle and a Silencerco Hybrid can.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by bfoosh006 View Post
    I have assembled numerous PA10/65's, no issues ... however, since there are no Mil-Spec guidelines for Large Frame AR's, I do strongly suggest using mostly PSA parts in a PA10 ( LPK specifically ) There are numerous subtle , measurable differences between some of the parts.

Barrel wise, I have used PSA / DC Machine , Criterion, FN CHF CL, Aero / BA, Krieger , Faxon... all are a DPMS pattern.... various gas lengths and barrel lengths.

I would suggest an adj. GB. The only barrel manufacturer that had a ( IMHO ) properly ( reasonably ) sized gas port was Krieger.

I also suggest lapping the upper receiver face flat... easy to do, PTG makes a great tool for it.

FWIW.. the 22" Criterion in 6.5CM shoots outstandingly.
    Many of the current PSA AR-10 uppers come stock with adjustable gas blocks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast