Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Question about selling firearms online

Hey guys, my name’s Chris. I’m new here and pretty new to the gun world in general.

Purchased my first guns when the pandemic started. So far I gave a glock 17, a colt .45 subcompact, and an Arsenal sam7. Unfortunately, I am going to have to sell the Sam7 to pay some bills.

If I were to post my rifle on gun broker or a similar site, what would be required when I sell the actual gun? I would just set up the customer with a local FFL and they would take it from there?

Also, can I sell ammo online and would it need to be in an original box or doesn’t it matter? I have like 2-300 bullets that are loose that would be part of the package I’m selling my gun with.

I tried googling. PA doesn’t require gun registration, so I would assume after selling it online I’d just put the items in a box and send to FFL?

Sorry for the newbie question if anyone has a good website explaining this or can answer any of these questions on here I’d appreciate it. Thanks

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Question about selling firearms online

Try putting it in the classifieds here first, you may get lucky.

(Berks County)

Sale to another PA resident and you can meet up or ship a long gun directly to them with no FFL required, so long as you're reasonably sure the buyer is not prohibited.

Sale to another state and you have to ship to an FFL in the buyer's state. Some will want a copy of your driver's license.

Ammo can go in any box, but I'd pack it so it doesn't rattle and reveal its contents. Can not go USPS, must be FedEx or UPS and have an ORM-D hazmat label on the box.

ormd.jpg

(Montgomery County)

I personally would not try to deal with gun broker or shipping ammo. The easiest and most profitable* way would be to sell locally via the Classifieds here. Include the ammo and rifle as a package. Most here are comfortable selling a long gun face to face to someone who shows a valid License to Carry Firearms and Pennsylvania drivers license. You can sell without paperwork to a Pennsylvania resident who you have no reason to believe is prohibited from owning firearms. A quick ID check and a bill of sale for your records if you want is pretty standard practice.

You can also require a FFL transfer which will cover you a bit more for criminal liability. The usual practice is the seller picks up the FFL transfer cost in this case since it's not required by law (as opposed to usual practice of buyer paying for transfer for a handgun sale since it is required by law). You'll also push some buyers away if you require FFL - not necessarily because they're shady, but it's a principle thing. Decide on your comfort level but keep in mind very few rifles are used in crime, so it's low risk in my opinion especially when you check IDs.

Selling to a gun shop or consigning there will be the easiest but least profitable. I'd still choose these over dealing with gunbroker.

*GunBroker takes a fee and you'll have to ship to someone's FFL, thus requiring a lower price to make up for that added cost of shipping. Shipping ammo just isn't cost effective either when you can sell locally. Also many FFLs only accept shipments from FFLs, so you may have to get your local shop to ship it for you, further increasing cost. And honestly this is the best way regardless so you don't have to deal with UPS/FedEx shipping policies.

(York County)

I would post them for sale on this site and on Armslist, whatever local classifieds for firearms you can find. You can try posting it on Craigslist too in the sporting section, if you word the ad and title right as to not get it deleted, I see guns/gun related stuff all the time on the York page. Just do face to face meet up to sell it, saves dealing with shipping and transferring and losing money to their percentage.

Since its a rifle youre selling, if it stays within PA you can sell it without involving an FFL. Just check their PA id to make sure theyre a resident and their LTCF if possible will serve as pretty solid evidence theyre not prohibited.

I mean, if youre selling 7.62x39 ammo, and its reasonably priced, I would take it off your hands lol, and Im sure someone on here would be interested in an Arsenal AK.

(York County)

Thanks for all the answers! Didn't know FFL wasn't required for private sales, good to know!

I posted her in the classifieds. wish I didn't have to get rid of her but I'm sure someone else will treat her right!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
    I would post them for sale on this site and on Armslist, whatever local classifieds for firearms you can find. You can try posting it on Craigslist too in the sporting section, if you word the ad and title right as to not get it deleted, I see guns/gun related stuff all the time on the York page. Just do face to face meet up to sell it, saves dealing with shipping and transferring and losing money to their percentage.

Since its a rifle youre selling, if it stays within PA you can sell it without involving an FFL. Just check their PA id to make sure theyre a resident and their LTCF if possible will serve as pretty solid evidence theyre not prohibited.

I mean, if youre selling 7.62x39 ammo, and its reasonably priced, I would take it off your hands lol, and Im sure someone on here would be interested in an Arsenal AK.
    I'll keep that in mind. If someone wants to purchase the rifle separately from the ammo I'll shoot ya a message.

(York County)

Hey man I still have 400 rounds of 7.62x39 I’d let go for cheap if you’re still interested

Quote Originally Posted by Sirhc View Post
    Thanks for all the answers! Didn't know FFL wasn't required for private sales, good to know!

I posted her in the classifieds. wish I didn't have to get rid of her but I'm sure someone else will treat her right!
    Not required for long guns if both parties are residents of Pa and you have no reason to believe they are prohibited. Are required for handguns no matter what unless it*s your parent or child.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sirhc View Post

Resident of PA to Resident of PA: Long guns don't require a FFL transfer. All "firearms"(handguns, SBS, SBR) do.

Any sale to a resident of another state, of any type of gun(except Antique Firearms) requires a FFL to facilitate the transfer.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast