Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Saving Beans and Rice

I keep some plastic containers of beans and rice on hand but I would like to package some for long term. I have a vacuum sealer but I'm curious if these items can be stored, once sealed and placed in a plastic storage box, in an unheated garage long term.

I'm talking a separate, uninsulated garage. I have left a bottle of water in there over the winter and have not seen it freeze, but I realize and extended period of teen temperatures could make a difference

Default Re: Saving Beans and Rice

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
    I keep some plastic containers of beans and rice on hand but I would like to package some for long term. I have a vacuum sealer but I'm curious if these items can be stored, once sealed and placed in a plastic storage box, in an unheated garage long term.

I'm talking a separate, uninsulated garage. I have left a bottle of water in there over the winter and have not seen it freeze, but I realize and extended period of teen temperatures could make a difference
    If you vac seal them, put them in a freezer to kill the boweavels.
    FJB

(Union County)

Ok.... Go here, get some 5 gal bag/O2 absorber combo kits.
    discountmylarbags.com/
    Then go to Tractor Supply for a bag of food grade diatomaceous earth. It's in the livestock supplement isle. A half a cup of FGDE to each 5 gal bucket bag.
    While at TSC, get buckets and lids. General rule is a 5 gal bag/bucket holds 35ish pounds of food. No... Don't waste your money. The bucket doesn't need to be food grade. That's what the mylar barrier is for.
    Then use YouTube to look up how to seal food in mylar bags using a lady's hair iron. I prefer Bear Independent for all things food storage, but I'm biased bc he's a friend of mine. While time consuming, it's not hard.
    Don't worry about freezing temps. Once in mylar, in buckets, freezing doesn't change anything.
    You can use the same method for most rices, any bean or lentil, corn, wheat, and pasta. Stuff must be under 13% moisture.
    If you are within distance of Williamsport, you're welcome to come do some with me this week. If you help me, usually you leave with 1 or 2. My 8 year old helps me, if that tells you how easy it is. He and I will be doing rice, and some beans this week.
    Something clever belongs here. Same screen name at ARFCOM.

(Delaware County)

Dry beans and white rice should last a long time if stored properly. Don't expect much from brown rice, however.

There's likely mold spores in the air and on your hands, so wash up well.

I got a 25 lb back of white rice from Costco and we used it over a good year. We still have some left and it's still as good as ever and we just store it in ziplock bags.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bethzur View Post
    Dry beans and white rice should last a long time if stored properly. Don't expect much from brown rice, however.

There's likely mold spores in the air and on your hands, so wash up well.

I got a 25 lb back of white rice from Costco and we used it over a good year. We still have some left and it's still as good as ever and we just store it in ziplock bags.
    I'm also stocking up on the bulk rice at Costco. The one I shop, Warminster, doesn't have the bulk dried beans anymore. Not sure what's up with that.

Bill

(Allegheny County)

I bought the Mormon stuff. Comes in large cans. good for 25 years. Rice, beans, quick oats, various vegetables,sugar,milk. I'm not sure if it is still available. I couldn't find the site to provide a link.

(Allegheny County)

Found it https://store.churchofjesuschrist.or...encyPreference

Some stuff is sold out of course

(Allegheny County)

I didn't even know beans and rice are in danger!

i've decided with my supply to freeze them and then put them in plastic soda and juice bottles, this way i can open a reasonable amount at a time and just pour it into a measure.
    they should last longer that way portioned out than just in the store bags.
    not sure about using o2 and moisture absorbers though. botulism grows in high moisture/low oxygen and low moisture dries the beans to inedible over time so i'm not certain how to balance that act.

reading up, 2-3yrs in store bags, outside of mylar for oxygen blocking and low temp you don't get much longer.

bottles like that are "free" and pulls them out of our waste stream.
    i've had white rice just dumped in a HD bucket for a few years now, still seems fine.
    same with flour and sugar, just lucky we didnt get bugs i guess.
    we store salt boxes in gallon ziplock because they spill everywhere even at the store.

**obviously wide mouth bottles will work best except for stuff like rice.

to add, i've gone and frozen my beans then defrosted them to room temp and have thrown them in the oven with the bottle on lowest setting till warm, just to drive off condensation and dry the clean bottle. then bottled them up.
    gonna do similar with my rice and my salt now, since salt is just in ziplocks and that is because the boxes always leak, mayo jar of salt should be more secure against tears.
    Last edited by fallenleader; May 22nd, 2022 at 11:38 AM.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

a 2l soda bottle will hold about 4lb of rice. giving it a few taps i got 66oz
    There is no way to make it out alive...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast