Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Carrying .380 Ball

I'd carry lead round nose before fmj, atleast there's a chance of it flattening out.

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    I have not, but also I can't see any imperfections at all. Not mirror smooth, but it looks fine with the naked eye.

Agreed, but it actually just came back from Ruger. The slide started locking with a full mag so I sent it in thinking the slide lock/spring was bad. They replaced those plus the entire slide and barrel (lots of early Maxes had tolerance issues, so I've seen). So 1) they went over it and upgraded all parts to the newest in-spec versions 2) they tested it with 30 rounds of Winchester flat nose 3) I'm growing weary of dealing with it even though it really does fit a niche very well.

I don't think Ruger would tell me to pound sand, but they may say there's nothing they can do because it test fired appropriately. I guess I have to deal with the service process again or just cut and run back to my 442 performance center which doesn't have to feed anything...
    Ruger will work to get it right. Worst case scenario, they send you a new pistol. Still a win.

If you can find it Winchester produce a Truncated Projectile/Bullet ,similar to a what us old timers called a Dum Dum !

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    If you can find it Winchester produce a Truncated Projectile/Bullet ,similar to a what us old timers called a Dum Dum !
    +1 for the Winchester truncated. Very reliable in my Sig P230. Also, Buffalo Bore makes a hard cast flat nose and similar loading to the Winchester.

(Susquehanna County)

I personally would replace it with something that reliably feeds/shoots self-defense ammo. It is better to have what you have rather than be without a sidearm, but there are a lot of great options out there that will do the job with self defense ammo.

(Monroe County)

My LCP wouldn't feed anything resembling a flat or hollow point. FMJs fed fine. Sent it down the road. My Kahr P380 feeds everything I ever tried in it. Carried daily with Buffalo Bore 90gr. +P JHP.

(Franklin County)

My first and second gen LCPs and my Glock 42, feed everything I've fed them, round nose, XTP, FTX , PDX, sig elite, etc.
    The Hostler

(Chester County)

I do not carry .380 but if I did, I*d probably carry ball ammo or something like the Underwood Ammo Xtreme Defender or Penetrator. Regarding .380, my bigger concern is penetration over expansion, especially during cooler weather and people wearing more layers of clothing.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    I do not carry .380 but if I did, I*d probably carry ball ammo or something like the Underwood Ammo Xtreme Defender or Penetrator. Regarding .380, my bigger concern is penetration over expansion, especially during cooler weather and people wearing more layers of clothing.
    Agree 100% Everyday loads is ball 1st, 3rd and fifth with Speer LE hollow points on the rest. Carried ball loads or hard lead loads for the first 50 some years until a friend gave me several boxes of Speer Lawman 90 gr. Gold Dot HP. We have carried the Gold Dot series of HP since the ISP uses or used the same ammo and figured it was one less thing for a shady lawyer to have a hissy fit about.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

In retrospect ,I owned a Bersa/Firestorm 380 a few years back,It fed all ammo but I would never shoot Wolf Steel, Its hell on the extractor 1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123