Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Carrying .380 Ball

Suppose you have a .380 pistol you really like, but it just won't feed hollow points and you've tried two good brands. But it feeds FMJ perfectly.

1) Would you carry ball rounds just because you like the gun itself in the role that much? Or is carrying ball a non starter because of effectiveness and higher collateral damage risk?

2) Does it being unreliable with certain ammo automatically take it out of carry consideration because it should be dead nuts reliable?

The rounds not feeding by the way are Underwood XTP and Norma MHP.
    Last edited by jthrelf; May 5th, 2022 at 11:26 AM.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Carrying .380 Ball

Use ammo that feed reliably. Ball is still capable of disabling/killing. In lessor calibers it is preferred over hollowpoint because of penetration needs. 380 is on that cusp between lessor and greater calibers.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Use ammo that feed reliably. Ball is still capable of disabling/killing. In lessor calibers it is preferred over hollowpoint because of penetration needs. 380 is on that cusp between lessor and greater calibers.
    True! Some 380 JHPs are pointless because they won't expand anyway. Or will expand and not penetrate enough.

But the XTP rounds are considered the best because of adequate penetration and still expanding even out of a sub 3" barrel.

As with any ball ammo over penetration is a question although not as nearly with a 380 but the possibility exists .Main reason to carry a firearm for defense is to protect and not clearly having the intent to kill , but to end the threat .

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Yep. Some pistols are picky. I carry 380 ball ammo for ease of feeding and what's already been posted.

(Beaver County)

Anything is better than a blunt stick or a spoon. Because when you need it, you don't got time to sharpen it.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

I carry the Hornady FTX in my 380. Decent penetration and expansion from some data that I have seen. Any ammo is better than no ammo.

(Montgomery County)

Let me clarify as well - the alternative for this role of pocket carry/backup would be carrying a gun that DOES work with hollow points, but maybe doesn't have as many other things going for it like size, capacity, etc.

Not having a gun is not an option, of course.

(Franklin County)

If it were me I would consider that gun to be unreliable and I would get rid of it. It's a defensive firearm that won't shoot defensive ammunition. That said, there are merits to carrying FMJ so to each their own, you asked if it were me, I would get rid of it.
    The Hostler

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    If it were me I would consider that gun to be unreliable and I would get rid of it. It's a defensive firearm that won't shoot defensive ammunition. That said, there are merits to carrying FMJ so to each their own, you asked if it were me, I would get rid of it.
    Yup that's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks ray.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast