Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Adams County)

Default Gun in vehicle in PA question

I’m sure this topic has been covered before but I’d appreciate some input on this. Concerning the carrying of a handgun in a vehicle while in PA. The gun in question has a barrel length of 12” and overall length of 29”. Can this gun be carried in a vehicle while loaded with a LTCF? From my understanding of PA law this particular gun is not a firearm nor is it a long gun. Thanks for any help on this.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Gun in vehicle in PA question

Even though the OAL is 29", the barrel length is less than 15" - so it is a "firearm", which requires a LTCF to merely have it in/on a vehicle, however you can also have it loaded.

§ 6102. Definitions.
    "Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by AlA556 View Post
    I*m sure this topic has been covered before but I*d appreciate some input on this. Concerning the carrying of a handgun in a vehicle while in PA. The gun in question has a barrel length of 12* and overall length of 29*. Can this gun be carried in a vehicle while loaded with a LTCF? From my understanding of PA law this particular gun is not a firearm nor is it a long gun. Thanks for any help on this.
    As Knight pointed out, it's meeting barrel length OR overall length - doesn't have to be both.

(Adams County)

Thank you, I was a bit confused on barrel length and over all length. I was interpreting it as it had to meet both.

(Beaver County)

Or -ok that makes more sense