Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (York County)

Default Re: Form 1 SBR advice for a NFA virgin (be gentle)

I just last week submitted my first form 1 for an sbr. Really easy actually with e-file.

I would get the upper and lower first, then get your fingerprint cards (I got a 25 pack and a dry ink pad thing for about $10-$15 on Amazon, and youll definitely want extras because you will screw up, at least I did), then file the form and send the cards in. The form asks for barrel length and overall length of the complete firearm, plus markings on the lower. Then just "assemble" once its approved.

Engrave after if you are, though Ive seen where people have directly asked ATF about engraving, and were told they had to engrave the "maker" info if they intend to sell it, much like 80%s are/were handled. So Im on the fence about if Ill even engrave mine, Ill look into it more when I get approval.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    Imo buy the upper now before it disappears, plus buy a Virginia lower or 80% so the short upper has "a home" while waiting on the stamp.
    I'm confident I have a source for the upper when the time comes. I really don't want to have a "constructive posession" situation on my hands. More potential for a hassle than it is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    Bad movie paraphrase on my part...was in reference to Shooter with Mark Wahlberg.
    I will have to go back and watch that one again. Didn't even catch this. I feel shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    You can set up an eForm account any time you want to, you don't (AFAIK) have to have anything ready to go NFA before you build your account.

I agree with the buy your upper now, build a pistol and then do the eForm 1. Get approval, engrave the lower, put on whatever stock you desire to make it a SBR. Volia!
    That is good to know. I will get on setting up the account so I'm ready to rock when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    I'd be willing to say that most SBR builders assemble their item as a pistol pending SBR approval. It's an extra pistol buffer tube- not a great expense, and you can always put your SBR back into pistol configuration if you don't want to have to get ATF approval for out-of-state travel.
    I may end up having someone build the SBR and go with an eFile form 4. His name is pretty widely known in the NFA world, so that could potentially add value down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
    I just last week submitted my first form 1 for an sbr. Really easy actually with e-file.

I would get the upper and lower first, then get your fingerprint cards (I got a 25 pack and a dry ink pad thing for about $10-$15 on Amazon, and youll definitely want extras because you will screw up, at least I did), then file the form and send the cards in. The form asks for barrel length and overall length of the complete firearm, plus markings on the lower. Then just "assemble" once its approved.

Engrave after if you are, though Ive seen where people have directly asked ATF about engraving, and were told they had to engrave the "maker" info if they intend to sell it, much like 80%s are/were handled. So Im on the fence about if Ill even engrave mine, Ill look into it more when I get approval.
    There is a chance that I will have someone else build it and form 4 the gun over to me once it is all setup. Since my gunsmithing skills are rudimentary at best, this be my best option.

(York County)

A lower is pretty simple to put together if you are getting a completed upper assembly. Ive done 2 of them (and 1 upper as well) and Id never done any gunsmith work and wasnt particularly handy. All you really need for a lower is a hammer and a set of roll pin punches/starters. Doing a Form 4 after the Form 1 is gonna add another 6 months to your wait time plus another $200.

(Delaware County)

A lower is pretty simple to put together if you are getting a completed upper assembly. Ive done 2 of them (and 1 upper as well) and Id never done any gunsmith work and wasnt particularly handy. All you really need for a lower is a hammer and a set of roll pin punches/starters. Doing a Form 4 after the Form 1 is gonna add another 6 months to your wait time plus another $200.
    More likely than not, I'd amass the parts and have him buy the receiver. That way, it starts its life as a SBR and all the SOT would have to do is a Form 2(?) to add it to his inventory and then sell it to me.

(York County)

I might be wrong, idk all the NFA rules, but once its officially an SBR, the FFL/SOT holder would have to transfer it to you through a form 4, so youd have to pay the tax and wait the few months.

Either way, form 1 or form 4, youll have to pay the $200, the difference is gonna come down to the wait time. Form 4 is gonna add 3+ months maybe.

(Lackawanna County)

Correct once it’s an sbr it goes on a form 4

200 bucks on a form 1 and then 200 to transfer on a form 4. Not to mention dealer transfer fees.

(Delaware County)

I might be wrong, idk all the NFA rules, but once its officially an SBR, the FFL/SOT holder would have to transfer it to you through a form 4, so youd have to pay the tax and wait the few months.

Either way, form 1 or form 4, youll have to pay the $200, the difference is gonna come down to the wait time. Form 4 is gonna add 3+ months maybe.
    Yep, either way it comes into being, a tax stamp will be needed. I just don't want to build my first one as an SBR, so having an experienced gunsmith assemble it is just simpler for me. Plus, he wants to have a guineapig for his eFile Form4 system, so this will be a learning experience for all involved. I'm in no hurry to obtain the new SBR.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    Correct once it*s an sbr it goes on a form 4

200 bucks on a form 1 and then 200 to transfer on a form 4. Not to mention dealer transfer fees.
    I believe he has the 02 license. So he can manufacture and submit a form 2 and then form 4 it over to me. Only 1 stamp will be needed as far as I know.

(Washington County)

Are you buying a complete assembled upper? If so, there is no reason to involve a third party.

Even if you're building an upper, a few special tools are needed (which you will use again, it's addicting) and there are plenty of youtube videos to guide you if you don't have any friends that can walk you through it.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by M404 View Post
    Yep, either way it comes into being, a tax stamp will be needed. I just don't want to build my first one as an SBR, so having an experienced gunsmith assemble it is just simpler for me. Plus, he wants to have a guineapig for his eFile Form4 system, so this will be a learning experience for all involved. I'm in no hurry to obtain the new SBR.

I believe he has the 02 license. So he can manufacture and submit a form 2 and then form 4 it over to me. Only 1 stamp will be needed as far as I know.
    Gotcha, sounds like youre all set then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12