Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Bear Spray vs Pepper Spray

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    The last time I did research on bear spray vs pepper spray I found that pepper spray was more stronger. Bear spray has a much lower concentration of oleoresin capsicum, and should only be used as a bear deterrent. The reason is pepper spray shouldn't be used on bears or any animal is may permanently damage the animal sense of smell. Since most animals use their sense of smell for food and enemy detection, pepper spray could handicap the animals in the wild.
    I came here to say this. Bear spray does have a longer effective distance though.

(Bucks County)

my hiker friends call bear spray "seasoning"

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

There is also specific dog spray which has a weaker oc formula, as dog eyes are more sensitive than human eyes.

However, when I run, I have human oc and a knife. I think I have only had to spray 2 or 3 dogs in 14 years of running.

(Franklin County)

Since this occurs "frequently", I'd take the opportunity to capture the behavior on video several times, over the course of time. I'd carry the spray with my sidearm, but I wouldn't set the gun aside and rely on the spray. There are lot of variables, and the details may dictate which is the best first option in any given case.

One thing I know: it's not likely that the wind will blow a bullet back towards you and incapacitate you rather then the intended threat.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    I came here to say this. Bear spray does have a longer effective distance though.
    I can see where that would be advantageous.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

Bear spray is weaker than pepper spray because a bear has a much more sensitive nose than a human.Your best bet is to use wasp and hornet spray. Get the 20-foot spray and the gel type.It's pretty cheap but it is very rare to find in a small can. We have a can next to every door.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by BDX2 View Post
    I really hate to beat a dead horse, but I'm very torn here. I've posted just a few months ago concerning the neighbor illegally training and boarding new strange dogs that have been out of his control several times. (Just defending my 17 pound shih-tzu on walks), I have no issue personally with dogs, they are much more likely to be small dog aggressive than human.

Several people here suggested pepper spray, which I'm very grateful for the suggestion, it really eases my mind knowing I wouldn't have to shoot a dog or draw my weapon.

My family has strict orders to keep the spray on hand, and they've been doing it 😆.

For the life of me I cannot get it out of my head, there's a remote chance I'll regret not using bear spray instead. Much more effective in the rare chance it's needed, but there could be legal ramifications if it came to using it.

There seems to be a voice of common sense on this forum and I'm not ashamed to say I'd like to hear your opinion, if it were you.

I'm frequently dealing with large aggressive beasts that go crazy at the sight of mine. I witnessed it again this morning as my son walked our dog up the driveway while a snarling spitting pit bull was held by a leash on my neighbors property. God forbid something like that unfolds. I wouldn't be pondering legalities should any of us need it.

Thanks for Reading,

Joe
    Forget the pepper spray and forget the wasp spray. If you perceive that there is enough of a threat, get the best defensive tool that you can lawfully possess. Bear spray is lawful to carry in PA. Bear spray is lawful to use in PA. There is NO statute in PA that limits the use of bear spray only to bears.

All I can say is, if I have a pissed off dog, with muscular jaws as wide as my thigh, bearing down on me like a ship-to-shore missle, I can piss around with pepper spray with its 6' spray stream OR I can use bear spray with its 30' spray stream and I can lay down a wall of pepper foam that will hopefully begin to take effect before the missle ever reaches me.

If you are worried about having legal action taken against you afterward, just remember that PA statute says:

(a) Legal to kill certain dogs.--Any person may kill any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing or wounding or killing any domestic animal, wounding or killing other dogs, cats or household pets, or pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings, whether or not such a dog bears the license tag required by the provisions of this act. There shall be no liability on such persons in damages or otherwise for such killing.

If anyone complains about the use of bear spray, your answer would be, "I was using restraint. I was allowed to kill it, but I like dogs".

If the dogs are really that aggressive, you should be taking video now and providing it to the police as a prophylactic measure. If the dogs are that aggressive, there are strict laws pertaining to their ownership to prevent them from causing damage. Waiting until someone in your family gets chewed up is too late to act.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Bucks County)

Sounds like having a cam operating as you walk is mandatory to establish beyond doubt that you had a right to SHOOT an aggressively charging animal.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

When I was a cyclist (many, many moons ago) I carried this...

https://www.amazon.com/Halt-91427-Do...1515870&sr=8-5

I only had to use it once but it sat a GSD down in mid-stride. The USPS carriers used to use this.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by thanker92 View Post
    Bear spray is weaker than pepper spray because a bear has a much more sensitive nose than a human.Your best bet is to use wasp and hornet spray. Get the 20-foot spray and the gel type.It's pretty cheap but it is very rare to find in a small can. We have a can next to every door.
    Wasp and hornet spray is illegal to use for other purposes. It says so right on the can.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast