Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Are they dangerous

Definitely some risk anytime you shoot something as solid as steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz2720 View Post
    I was at a cowboy shoot and was hit in the gut with a ricochet from a steel target. I ended up with a quarter size bruise and one small drop of blood from it.
    The ricochet dropped to ground right in front of my feet. It was 2/3 of a .45 lc. I have the bullet sitting in my gun safe.
    I took my 22 to the range this week and was also hit in the gut while shooting at steel targets. Reminds one of the importance of eye protection.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Bucks County)

I always think of this vid when discussing richochets.

(Montgomery County)

Steel targets must be of proper hardness for the round shot at it, at the correct minimum distance AND must be in good repair. When they get beat up, recycle them. I prefer AR550 for centerfire rifle steel targets at a minimum distance of 50 yards. For pistol, AR500 and no closer than 10 yards. With that being said, shit still happens and eye protection with side shields is a must!!! if you value your sight.

There is some folk lore out there about lower velocity, lead only projectiles being the safest. This is dead wrong. The faster the bullet is flying, the smaller the pieces it will break into. The smaller the piece, the lower the potential energy is if it were to return. Mass times velocity squared and all that being a law. However, none of this really is a concern if one buys frangible ammunition, yet that really increases the cost per shot.

Throom is great ad I have used it extensively. Just note that Throom only offers one rifle target and I believe it is 3 inches in diameter. The pistol targets will not work for modern centerfire rifles. The projectiles travel too fast to have the dwell time in the target to impart enough energy to move it. Throom is ideal for pistol work.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12