Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Fitting Sights To Slide....I think the vendor screwed mine up...

I bought a slide, a year ago from DV8 Tactical. Took months to arrive. To make a long story short....my local 'smith couldn't get the rear sight too slide in. DV8 suggested I send it to them.

A few weeks later, it's back. The slide is made wrong and the gun has all kinds of issues. My gun smith suggests it's that the upper portion of the slide is too thick. After another couple months of emails back and forth...they are going to refund the slide's cost once they get it back. Fine. I take it back to the gunsmith who removes the sights. DV8 ground the rear sight to make it fit. Photo attached.

I contacted DV8 who tells me this is normal to make a sight fit. I've never heard of this and have changed sights on many guns in the past where they were simply slid in.

Now, these $100 night sights may be worthless to be used in another Glock slide. Arg. I suppose if that's the worst thing out of this mess of an ordeal...I'm lucky.

Glad for your thoughts!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Fitting Sights To Slide....I think the vendor screwed mine up...

many sights need to be hand fit.
    not sure about glocks.

(Montgomery County)

If they saw their slide with out of spec they shouldn't have ruined the sights...

I've installed sights on quite a few production guns and never had to fit any... Some were very tight but they went on with a pusher.

(Centre County)

If you have another Glock slide (OEM, aftermarket, etc.) see if it will fit on one of them. Or if you have another pistol, see if it will fit. When you fit to another Glock slide or whatever, see how tight it fits and how much gap there may be. A gunsmith (or you) might be able to fill the gap and then file to fit.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

That is an ugly, imprecise fitting job. I agree with Xringshooter about trying that rear on another slide, just to see how badly off it is.
    If you need sights swapped, I'll do them while you wait- including proper fitting if needed, done on the Bridgeport.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Bucks County)

Thanks very much for the thoughts!! I sent the slide back today.

cdi..I may take you up on that. I have a couple Glocks that don't have night sights...perhaps these could be an upgrade for one of those. I'll drop you a PM.

(Washington County)

You can use a hard pointed punch to upset metal on the fit areas and reestablish the fit you need. I have done that to make a rear sight *bigger* so it would tighten up in a dovetail.
    Last edited by JoshIronshaft; August 9th, 2022 at 11:06 AM.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Bucks County)

I've also used a vibrating engraver to knurl and raise surfaces, in effect enlarging them. Over the years, I have found dovetail sights run the gamut of fitting fine to needed fitting. I can see where the manufacturer would elect to alter the cheaper of the two parts. That's a professional approach. (Not defending them in general).
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Washington County)

Yes, I probably would of done the same, but had a conversion with the owner about it first.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Cumberland County)

I*ve had tight dovetails and loose ones. Not that unusual either way. I*ve filed sights and punched sights to raise metal so they would fit. Sights are typically the cheaper part to alter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast