Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Buy AP5 or wait for the right SP5 deal?

Looks like I'd save over $1k by going with the AP5. (This isn't a matter of being able to afford/not afford)
    I plan to shoot whatever I get. Not a safe queen.

I'm still 50/50, but the big reason I am hesitant to just order the AP5 is...will I still want the real deal HK if I buy the AP5?

The SP5 could appreciate in value as time passes. Doubt the AP5 would. I don't plan to sell, but you never know so have to factor everything in.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Opinions?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Buy AP5 or wait for the right SP5 deal?

I have the POF as well as MKE clone versions of H&K's MP5 and I have had no complaints with either of them.I'm not sure if you are aware or not but MKE makes the AP5 for Century Arms....agreed on a real deal H&K having the most bang for your buck as far as future resale.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Berks County)

When Zenith was the MKE importer their reviews were very good, and if there were issues (I had one), Zenith was able to take care of customers. Yes MKE is the same manufacturer, but I've read some reviews of buyers with issues and Century has not been able to correct problems.

When I was fortunate enough to find an SP5 at a reasonable price, I sold my (Zenith imported) MKE for more than I paid for it. Personally, I'd pony up for the HK so long as it's reasonable, like $3k or less. Their CS is very good, and again, it will hold value much better.

About the only plus of the MKE is it will take a 2 pin lower.

(Berks County)

I would say that the yen for the H&K is always there but the money just could not be justified. I have an early Zenith but there were quality issues with the second batch that came in. Zenith was very good about taking care of it but those issues are what finally killed the Zenith/MKE relationship. I believe that Zenith is now making their own clone here in the states and I think Atlantic Firearms carries it. I don't know anything about them though. You'd be better served to ask on one of the H&K forums about all of that. HKPro has turned sour but there is a spin-off forum, who's name I can't recall right now. The POF's have a good reputation.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    When Zenith was the MKE importer their reviews were very good, and if there were issues (I had one), Zenith was able to take care of customers. Yes MKE is the same manufacturer, but I've read some reviews of buyers with issues and Century has not been able to correct problems.

When I was fortunate enough to find an SP5 at a reasonable price, I sold my (Zenith imported) MKE for more than I paid for it. Personally, I'd pony up for the HK so long as it's reasonable, like $3k or less. Their CS is very good, and again, it will hold value much better.

About the only plus of the MKE is it will take a 2 pin lower.
    Unfortunately, it looks like getting one under $3k is almost impossible

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I would say that the yen for the H&K is always there but the money just could not be justified. I have an early Zenith but there were quality issues with the second batch that came in. Zenith was very good about taking care of it but those issues are what finally killed the Zenith/MKE relationship. I believe that Zenith is now making their own clone here in the states and I think Atlantic Firearms carries it. I don't know anything about them though. You'd be better served to ask on one of the H&K forums about all of that. HKPro has turned sour but there is a spin-off forum, who's name I can't recall right now. The POF's have a good reputation.
    Methinks the OP is already on HKPro. The other site is: https://www.hkproshop.com/forums/ Low traffic though.

Zenith took care of MKE issues. Century will not be able to provide that level of service. There is at least one thread on HKPro about a guy having a lot of issues and Century 'fixed it,' but apparently did nothing. I think they might be sending him a replacement, which is fine if that one is good.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalSpeed View Post
    Unfortunately, it looks like getting one under $3k is almost impossible
    If you get on a wait list at any HK stocking dealer that keeps a list, there's a chance. Many of them deal mostly with 'standard' handguns and may not be very familiar with the SP5. I got that when I picked mine up last year. Over on HK Pro there are some finding sub $3000 prices, but it requires a lot of leg work; making calls, etc.

(Luzerne County)

I bought a PTR 1st ... over $1000. cheaper than H&K ... put a brace & binary trigger on it ... works FANTASTIC!
    Great fun gun.
    Also, the PTR came with threaded barrel & paddle release, which the SP5 did not.

The SP5 & SP5K remain virginal in the safe - doubt I will ever "violate" them ... the PTR satisfies the urges!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by mokoitis View Post
    I bought a PTR 1st ... over $1000. cheaper than H&K ... put a brace & binary trigger on it ... works FANTASTIC!
    Great fun gun.
    Also, the PTR came with threaded barrel & paddle release, which the SP5 did not.

The SP5 & SP5K remain virginal in the safe - doubt I will ever "violate" them ... the PTR satisfies the urges!
    I'm not the type to buy one just to look at it.

(Lackawanna County)

If you want the sp5 buy it. Or else you’ll always wonder about it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast