Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Buying Rifle in PA/living outside US

Hi everyone. I'm currently living overseas and I won't be home anytime soon. I have a feeling if I don't buy a firearm pretty soon I won't be able to in the near future. I was wondering if I could call up a gun shop in my state and buy a Rifle over the phone and have a friend pick it up? I know it sounds crazy but I could fax or send a photo copy all the info. needed plus I still have a PA DL and home address. I was thinking of buying an AR-15 which could handle the blue hats coming around knocking down peoples door. I'm gussing this won't be allowed but I thought I'd ask anyhow. Thanks.
    I shoot white man who wear blue feather on hat.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Buying Rifle in PA/living outside US

My guess would be that would be a straw man purchase. You might find someone willing to take your money and put the gun away for you until you return. That would probably be the legal way to handle your situation. I think it would be in your best interest if you really believe you need to buy now you make a trip back for the holidays and buy if you can find something you want. Hopefully that helps.

later,
    AJ

(Centre County)

Giving the money to someone else to buy the gun for you IS a straw man purchase. Also, the Form 4473 asks if the person paying for the gun is going to be the owner of the gun. If the answer is no, and in this scenerio it would have to be, then the FFL cannot complete the deal.

If you are military and somewhere other than the desert, many bases/posts have sportsmans clubs that have guns that you can buy and ship back to the states with your other goods when you come back.

Otherwise, you could contact a gun dealer, discuss the matter, and maybe come up with a layaway program. You would make regular payments on the gun that you order (or he has in stock that you want) and when you get back you do the paperwork and it's yours.

In the case of the AR, you can buy everything except the lower receiver and have those parts delivered to someone you trust to hold them for you and then get the lower receiver when you get back. Or the same as the previous paragraph. Contact the dealer, pay for the lower and have him put it away until you get back to do the paperwork.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Thanks guys for your answers, it was very helpful!
    I shoot white man who wear blue feather on hat.